The Challenges of the AR Sugden "Connoisseur Lathe"

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Soulbear

Re: The Challenges of the AR Sugden "Connoisseur Lathe"

Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:15 am

nikc wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:53 am
Hi there. I look into this too as a bit fed up with idler wheel noise on my MSS. I have tried tensioning springs and trying to get the wheel smoother but you can hear the rumble on the vinyl. I have a spoke at 4000 hz on my recordings too which I was wondering was from the idler too although it seems a bit high.

Nik
Hi Nik,
MSS Portable Lathe6.jpg
Pretty much straightforward on the MSS Nik, with the added "Bonus" that the Idler Tensioner might possibly be useful for Belt Tensioning if needed. I've got a good UK source/link for the Drivebelts if you wanna get in touch. From memory, I think the MSS Plater is around 12" or thereabouts, so the belt I used on the Sugden, is probably the same as what you're going to need :wink: :wink: :wink:
Best Regards
Soulbear :P :) :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Soulbear

Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:03 pm

Soulbear wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:29 pm
Leaves me without a Cutterhead for Lathe number 14 :cry: :cry: but Thanks to the help of another Lathe Troll I think I might have an Alternative :wink: :wink: :wink:
More about this next time Regards Soulbear :P :) :D
Well not quite "Next Time" but other issues (mentioned elswhere on the Forum!) :oops: :oops: :oops: keep diverting me!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
So Lathetrolls, as I mentioned earlier in this Thread, by now planning to restore "Historic Lathe" Number 1,rather than use it as a "Spareparts Donor Lathe" I'm left without a Connoisseur Cutterhead for Sugden Lathe number 14, AGAIN! :roll: :roll: :roll:

I came to realise, that in truth, I'd have a better chance of "Poking Butter Up a Porcupines Arse with a Hot Sewing Needle" than being lucky enough to find yet another Connoisseur Cutterhead :roll: :roll: :roll: At best what I had now with the New "Rotek" Motor fitted to the Lathe, was no more than a Glorified Record Turntable, so what to do about a Cutterhead to make Lathe 14 complete and functional again :?: :?: :?:

Through the Lathetrolls Forum, I was lucky to become acquainted, and then friends with, Fellow Multiple Sugden Owner and all-round "Great Bloke" member Stevie342000. It was during on of our Long and Wide-ranging Telephone conversations well into the night, that I became aware that one of Stevie342000 Sugdens did not have the "Original" Connoisseur Cutterhead, but had in place of the Sugden Cutterhead a "Good Ol' Presto 1D!!!!!!!!" WHAT????? a Presto 1D?????? :D :D :D

I was delighted upon hearing this from Stevie342000 because :-
(1) Presto Recording Gear (Comparatively Speaking) vs Sugden Varigoove Stuff is Fairly Common, and pretty much often readily available to buy. Presto Gear sold by the 1000's, compared to perhaps the 10's of the Sugdens

(2) Lathetrolls Stalwart and Go-To Guy for all things Cutting Lathes and Associated Gear, none other than Mr Mike Dixon (PIAPTK) had at some point in the past (for one of my many "Restoration Projects") sold me a rather nice Presto 1D, which now Languished waiting to be used, alongside another Presto 1D and other Cutterheads in a Drawer in my home. :wink: :wink: :wink:

So Trolls, in light of this revelation, I became quite eager to learn more about this " Presto/Sugden Adaptor" I sorta tested Stevie342000's forbearance somewhat, because he too had just completed a "Home Move" and everything, but everything, was still packed away in boxes so it was impossible for him to send me a Photo, and then of course I had misunderstood just where abouts the adaptor "Fitted" onto the Connoisseur Cutterhead "Body" which of course I still had the remnants of. After a little more "Well into the Night" conversation, Stevie342000 kindly agreed to make a considerable train journey to visit my home, so I could see for myself this "Presto/Sugden Adaptor" and he could fully explain how it all fitted together :D :D :D

Here it is :-
Sugden-Presto Adaptor-7.jpg
Stevie342000 kindly loaned me this so that I could have a go at making my own version of it :-
Sugden-Presto Adaptor-32.jpg
And here is the Adaptor c/w a Presto 1D attached by a couple of "Needle Point Setscrews" to the Connoisseur Cutterhead "Backplate" :-
Sugden-Presto Adaptor-5.jpg
I added a few "Refinements" by making a further "Wierd and Wonderful Bracket" on which to Mount an "Airpot" Damping :-
Sugden Presto Adaptor Damping Bracket-1.jpeg
Regards Soulbear :P :) :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Soulbear

Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:15 pm

Hi Trolls,
And Now here, is how it all "Hangs Together" :-
Airpot on Presto-Sugden Adaptor-2.jpg
Regards Soulbear :P :) :D

nikc

Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:11 am

Soulbear wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:15 am
nikc wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:53 am
Hi there. I look into this too as a bit fed up with idler wheel noise on my MSS. I have tried tensioning springs and trying to get the wheel smoother but you can hear the rumble on the vinyl. I have a spoke at 4000 hz on my recordings too which I was wondering was from the idler too although it seems a bit high.

Nik
Hi Nik,
MSS Portable Lathe6.jpg
Pretty much straightforward on the MSS Nik, with the added "Bonus" that the Idler Tensioner might possibly be useful for Belt Tensioning if needed. I've got a good UK source/link for the Drivebelts if you wanna get in touch. From memory, I think the MSS Plater is around 12" or thereabouts, so the belt I used on the Sugden, is probably the same as what you're going to need :wink: :wink: :wink:
Best Regards
Soulbear :P :) :D
Hi. Yes that'd be great to know where you got the belt from. I'll give the platter a measure when I'm back home tomorrow.
Regards
Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records