Anyone tried a NSK DD servo motor for a platter driver?

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

dmills

Anyone tried a NSK DD servo motor for a platter driver?

Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:39 pm

Hi all,
Following some rather drunken ebay shopping (never a good idea!), I find myself the owner of a NSK direct drive servo motor and driver part number M-PS1018KN201, https://www.nsk.com/common/data/ctrgPdf/e3511b.pdf , 20 poles, ~2M step resolver resolution, and 18Nm peak torque, which is not at all quite what I thought I was buying (I was actually after a more conventional servo drive for another project), but does look like a decent basis for a direct drive lathe.

Anyone tried something like this (or the Yaskawa near equivalent)?

It looks to have some nice features for a lathe platter, torque for days, closed loop feedback, high res encoder, bearings good to a kN of axial load, and a hollow shaft to make vacuum hold down easy to do cleanly.
Now before I pay a local metalwork place WAY too much money to make me a 400mm platter out of three bits of ally tooling plate, do folks think this thing will work reasonably well? Spinning it up and measuring the resolver output implies that it turns smoothly enough, and 10kg or so of platter should be a non issue, but we all know that until you actually try there can be surprises.

Any experience with this style of drive in a lathe?

2bitcomputer

Re: Anyone tried a NSK DD servo motor for a platter driver?

Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:58 pm

Very interesting Motor...
I haven't seen these before but it looks like there are a lot of things about it that might make a good platter drive.
My first question would be how quiet is it?
Any noise at all from the bearings or the motor?

sameal

Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:21 pm

Id be interested in putting something like that on my 8d. I seem to get nasty wow and flutter with the stock motors

dmills

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:51 am

Not sure that will work (even if the motor does, which I wont know for a while) because the thing is tall (~14cm), you would pretty much have to redesign the lathe and at least some kind of sub platter.

Probably better to start from scratch if using something like one of these.

planckepoch

Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:50 pm

what are you using to drive it? id be interested to hear how you get along with this one.

jjwharris

Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:05 pm

I know Brian had a go with an integrated servo with quite a bit of success, I tried to emulate it, but ran into noise problems. Mostly with motor noise. I'm unsure if that's because of the cheapish servo I was using, or that the frequency generator I was using, or if it just required more vibration isolation but I couldn't get the noise out of the audible range.

You can find his thread here;
https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7298&start=40

I'm currently working on a cutting turntable with motor for myself and once that is proven I'll be posting something about it. It's definitely not a small unit but I am feeling optimistic.
Record Lathe Embossing Supplies - http://www.supplies.johnnyelectric.co.nz/

symatic

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:30 am

great to see some experiments going on in the field of Drive Motors. I am keen to replace my Presto's gear box and the motor I have running ( a pump motor I think it is...) but I don't know anything about it really.