KNOP lathe DIY build

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, mossboss, tragwag, Aussie0zborn, Steve E., Simon

Re: KNOP lathe DIY build

Unread postby Gus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:33 am

Hi
Very nice improvement of your cutterhead, did you use carbon fibre as pushrods?
Keep it up!
Gus

Unread postby grooveguy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:07 am

VERY encouraging results, do keep us posted. Sounds fantastic.
grooveguy

Unread postby KNOP » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:18 am

To Gus: Yes that is with the carbon fibre pushrods. They weight 0.3 grams instead of 1 gram for metal pushrods.

I have some days leave from work this week, I will install a new stylus and try to get the noise floor as low as possible, also try out the heating. On my current stylus the heating wire has come off.
KNOP

Unread postby KNOP » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:54 pm

Hello.

I've changed the stylus for a new one, took me most part of the day getting everything dialed in again. Needed to re-EQ the cutterhead, made some improvements on the cutterhead connection to the suspension mechanism, reajusted the counterweight and so on.

Noise floor is much better, recorded at 45RPM 140LPI this time. The wow issues are much less pronounced.
https://clyp.it/xvrlkgvh
KNOP

Unread postby grooveguy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:17 pm

Boy, that sounds magnificent to me; if I can achieve results like that I will be happy as a clam. Remarkable stereo separation. In your closeup of the head, it appears that the 'torque tube' (or whatever you call the member that connects the stylus holder to the back of the head) goes straight back; that is, there is no obligatory 20-degree angle that Noel Keywood says is necessary in his paper. Any comment?

Question: You speak of a counterweight. Are you using a counterweight, exclusively, to support the head and set the depth of cut, or do you have a spring of any kind in use for that? Also, can you divulge: 1) distance from the stylus to the vertical pivot point of the head, and 2) height of the pivot point above the disc surface? (Don't tell if you'll have to kill me afterward, but I'm collecting this sort of info.)

Keep it up!
grooveguy

Previous

Return to Experimenters' & Innovators' forum