Project: - Recoating Alunimum Core from Acetates

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

EpicenterBryan

Re: Project: - Recoating Alunimum Core from Acetates

Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:53 pm

As I mentioned in another post, I've been out of town for a bit, enjoying crazy amounts of rock and roll in the desert near Palm Beach... Guess what one of the bands was based on this single photo.
IMG_5209[1].JPG
I'm back to reality now, and parts arrived while I was gone for all of my projects. Progress was made today on this one for sure!

The over head for the re-coater is nearly done. Remember, this over head is intended to dispense goo on an aluminum core - not for cutting records. I still have to make mounts for home switches, and also a mount for the "goo" dispenser.

Here you see the front and rear of the overhead. Notice the X stage is belt drive with the belt going under the upper wheels for the X stage. The main part for the Z stage actually serves two purposes... It is the carriage for X movement (and has the X motor mounted to it). It also is the main component for the Z stage for up and down movement and has the Z stage motor mounted to it. The Z stage uses a lead screw.
Overhead 1.jpg
As we see here, the Z stage can travel about 4 inches up and down. The magic that makes both the horizontal and vertical movements happen is in the 40mm x 40mm x 120mm parts I made. These attach to to the core of the vertical stage, and provide wheels for the vertical stage that has to move via the stepper and lead screw. But they also provide wheels on the back side so the same part is integral for horizontal movement. The horizontal motor is also mounted to this same part with a 3D printed bracket.

As you can imagine, I spent many hours on this design. It's similar to what I designed for my plasma cutter so it was easy to adapt to this application...
Overhead 2.jpg
Here you see how the overhead and the platter (a 16" aluminum core is shown) are situated.
Overhead 3.jpg
That's all the time I have for tonight. The wife and I have a 10 year anniversary dinner scheduled.
Marital bliss and all, you know.

Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bahndahn

Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:26 pm

Hey Bryan! Congratulations on your anniversary :)

Your re-coating machine is looking great! Do you have plans for any sort of runoff catching tray to collect the goo that falls over the edge? Particularily important will be keeping goo off of the platter drive belt. I figure you already have plans for this, but I thought I'd chime in anyway.

Will you be using nitrocellulose lacquer? I recently noticed some for sale in the Stewart MacDonald catalogue: http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Finishing_Supplies/Behlen_Nitrocellulose_Stringed_Instrument_Lacquer.html I wonder if this stuff would work!

Looking forward to seeing some goo fly.

-B

EpicenterBryan

Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:06 pm

Bahndahn wrote:Do you have plans for any sort of runoff catching tray to collect the goo that falls over the edge?
Great question! Initially, I'll be stopping before the edge. A bunch of tests need to be done about spread and platter speed.
Bahndahn wrote:Will you be using nitrocellulose lacquer?
That's the goal with the addition of a plasticizer. I'll be going with a formulation similar to mentioned in an old patent from AudioDiscs. But I know the owner of a company the makes and sells industrial paints and automotive finishes. I'll pick his brain as I get closer to having the machine working. Thanks for the link. I'll check that out!

Bahndahn wrote:Looking forward to seeing some goo fly.
You and me both!

Here is a shot of a first check using some diluted Elmer's Glue all. I manually deposited one ring with a syringe. Then started to spin the disc to see if the width of the glue line got wider. It did get wider. But once the RPM was high and the surface tension was over come, all hell broke loose. Not a very useful test but it was fun and "Goo" of one sort did fly!
IMG_4974.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EpicenterBryan

Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:25 pm

Update for tonight:

The Goo dispenser mounting bracket is done. Looks like this will work. And I decided to use knurled nuts on M5 bolts so I could remove the Goo dispenser without any tools.
IMG_5280.JPG
IMG_5281.JPG
Also got the X stage limit switch set up. But discovered I don't have any for the Z stage so got those on order. The X limit switch bumps into the X motor mount and can be adjusted where it needs to be...
IMG_5282.JPG
Oh and the anniversary dinner was fabulous at McGrath's Fish House. Pan Fried Oysters, Razor Clams, Blah Blah Blah.... Yum!

Bryan

diamone

Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:01 pm

Inter-connected technology thread split off and reposted with a few additions here: http://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6915&p=44645#p44645
2 Kinds of Men/Records: Low Noise & Wide Range. LN is mod. fidelity, cheap, & easy. WR is High Fidelity & Abrasive to its' Environment. Remember that when you encounter a Grumpy Engineer. (:-D)