1877 kruesi prototype has arrived

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

THEVICTROLAGUY

1877 kruesi prototype has arrived

Mon May 16, 2016 11:52 pm

repairing this for the national museum of south Korea, made a temporary stylus to get the recorder working, but have to rebuild both the recorder and reproducer...

markrob

Re: 1877 kruesi prototype has arrived

Tue May 17, 2016 9:05 am

Hi,

Great stuff! Looking forward to seeing the work in progress. You indicated that this was constructed recently. Did Edison have detailed drawings for this or was this unit copied from the original? Was there only one original unit constructed? Can you detail the differences between the record and reproducing sound boxes? Is the diaphragm made of mica on both boxes? I assume the two styli are different as well. Is this true?

Mark

THEVICTROLAGUY

Re: 1877 kruesi prototype has arrived

Sat May 21, 2016 4:35 pm

mark,
the recording and reproducing styli are totally different, the recording stylus is mounted to a steel diaphragm, the reproducer is made of mica with a very complex arrangement for the stylus. i will be posting video as soon as i get it constructed, very very difficult to make one of these styli.

as to the machine itself, it was constructed using the original blue prints from the Edison patent, the blue prints cover the entire machine EXCEPT for the reproducer sound box, no information on it at all, i am copying the original stylus from fotos of the prototype at the edison historic site. this was built in 1991 and is a very accurate reproduction of the original. i should have the reproducer stylus finished this week and will post videos, it is complex and totally inefficient, Edison abandoned it immediately after it was built, all subsequent machines used a single stylus for both recording and reproducing...