Presto K8 / K10

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

maniman

Presto K8 / K10

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:01 am

Hi guys , im planning to pass my K to diamond/PVC , some troll can (please) let me know if its reasonable ? The non centered path that the cutting arm do ... it have some issue that i need to take in care with diamonds ?

Thanks in advance
Mani
Very Busy days , some cutting works at least , soon online again

We must promote the use and abuse of vinyl records.

monkey1553

Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:15 am

Mani,

I'm not too familiar with the K model but how is the mech that lowers the cutter/stylus to the platter on your model? I know you will want to take great care lowering the diamond so that it doesn't chip or get damaged. I'm not sure how the different cutter path setup will effect things maybe others can chime in. Has everything worked fine in the past when you used sapphire?

-Michael

maniman

Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:03 am

Eyy ... thanx for the fast answer man , I don't know if pretty good , I only had material to test a few grooves ( thanks to Nickou for their remnants ) , seems ok , a bit noisy , but this is stylus related problem , the stylus source its unknow , really most of what I did its embossing with stylus tip , that works great , tilting Peter King style the results was be amazing.

The suspension its the spring one , but dont worry about that , I own the VR and I think I know the way that the stylus must attack the surface , really dont worry me , even the suspension would be modded more in dashpot style , that its in the plan too , as the heat , or the filtering section , the claim is make a very portable system.

Any infos is appreciated guys , thanks.
Mani

maniman

Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:47 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Russco-Cue-Master-QRK-3-Speed-50-Hz-Motor-Capstan-/300638898472?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2 , I bought that for the babe , someone try it on a K in a country with 50 hz mains ?

Project evolution gonna be posted here.

Any suggestions , tips , and neurons will be appreciated.
Thanks guys and gals , Mani.

petermontg

Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:07 am

maniman wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Russco-Cue-Master-QRK-3-Speed-50-Hz-Motor-Capstan-/300638898472?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2 , I bought that for the babe , someone try it on a K in a country with 50 hz mains ?

Project evolution gonna be posted here.

Any suggestions , tips , and neurons will be appreciated.
Thanks guys and gals , Mani.
Are you trying to use that 50hz capstan on a 60hz TT. you could check with sket at russco themselves. hes pretty responsive.

http://www.russcoturntables.com/
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

maniman

Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:01 am

Hi Peter thanks , beginner error , I was very excited with this , and bought at ebay without thinking a lot about .... But , Im gonna take in care when start with my LD Lathe restoration ( that one at my avatar ) , the motor of the LD was be chaged by a Bodine , coz of that , really other one capstan will be needed. (or finally get a motor controller)

You think that works ? ( use the capstan to resolve 50 / 60 mains issue )

And as experienced cutter like you Peter .... what you think about use a diamond with the K10 recording arm ? with the non linear path that describes...

Thanks.

petermontg

Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:13 am

maniman wrote:Hi Peter thanks , beginner error , I was very excited with this , and bought at ebay without thinking a lot about .... But , Im gonna take in care when start with my LD Lathe restoration ( that one at my avatar ) , the motor of the LD was be chaged by a Bodine , coz of that , really other one capstan will be needed. (or finally get a motor controller)

You think that works ? ( use the capstan to resolve 50 / 60 mains issue )

And as experienced cutter like you Peter .... what you think about use a diamond with the K10 recording arm ? with the non linear path that describes...

Thanks.
Am no experience cutter, only cutting about a year in march :lol: :lol:

No the only way to resolve a 50/60hz is to change out the motor. you can get little power converters in any DIY store (30E).

Remember though you have to use a 60hz on a stobe disk and 60hz strobe to set the table, a Tachometer(not for measuring Tachyons :( ) off ebay will only set you back about 20E and less of a pain. I have a 60hz collins 200s that i use for cutting.

Edit: i have to slow down the source material 16.66% to offset the freq difference between 50/60hz.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/180771880093?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

With regards to a diamond am not sure how it will work with a non linear path, the pressure on the needle will be coming from different angle at different stages of cutting.

Have you tried with a saffire yet?? It could be best to try with one first and see does any problems arise.

Another Edit: I have been thinking that if the cutter was orginialy built to handle a saffire you shouldn't have much problems with diamond,if any.
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.