Vacuum pump for Scully lathe

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Maistrow

Vacuum pump for Scully lathe

Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:07 pm

Hello Trolls,

Trying to find out what type of vacuum pump to use on my Scully-Haeco cutting system and how much CFM will it need.
Also if anyone has a pump for sale, just let me know.

Thank you,
Maistrow

boogievan

Re: Vacuum pump for Scully lathe

Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:19 pm

Ametek / Lamb 115750, with 98.7 cfm is working well with my Scully lathes for simultaneous lacquer-swarf-removal and TT-platter-suction.
A General Radio 5-Ampere VariAc can be used to let it run more slowly a few revs after 'Cutter Drop'.

https://www.grainger.com/product/2M262?gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2294:PSN7SY:20500731&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInJeT9rPZ_QIViRXUAR01HQc-EAAYASAAEgKgDvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

- Eigoob

Maistrow

Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:13 am

Hi Boogievan,

Thanks for the info on the vacuum pump. I think this will work ok, but when you bring down the voltage with the Variac, does the motor run quietly?
Does it make much noise when you are cutting?

Thanks again for your help.
Maistrow

boogievan

Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:41 pm

Yeah, no. It makes a loud hum, but that's not the biggest noise problem caused by this method of swarf-removal.
Our fellow Lathe Troll, Tubefan, visited my setup years ago and suggested I remote the pump with a smooth-inner-walled vacuum extension hose. The ribbed-inner-wall variety, which is standard, adds turbulence that might diminish the effective suction, requiring higher pump-speeds than necessary (to overcome). So, putting the pump (which, by the way, is inside a wooden box with a padded bottom for the motor, and its exhaust port, on the top, allows the vacuum extension hose to connect through a hole in the top of the wooden box...made by Lee) in the next room (about 24 feet away from the chip jar - the hose, extending to the motor by way of a circular hole in the wall of both rooms, separated by a section of hallway), keeps its tedious hum from interfering with listening to the lacquer channel.

However, I found out right away that the far noisier component to the suction it made was the hiss from the chip tube nozzle! That frequency is much easier to hear on the Fletcher-Munson curve, but, unfortunately, it can't be 'remoted' unless you put the lathe in a different room from the console and speakers. At that point, you just decide to bite the bullet and not insist on hearing what you're cutting with a quiet noise floor until either after the cut, or, to some degree, while monitoring test cuts in real time with a pair of closed-ear headphones.

Also, regarding 'remoting' the lathe, you could put the lathe in another room, but you benefit from hearing the hiss of suction because you can hear if there's an issue with the swarf or even the coating thickness making sudden depth changes if the frequency or level of the hiss suddenly 'blips'.

- Bravo Victor