White noise cutting

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Coccolino

White noise cutting

Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:40 am

Hello Trolls !!!! Can someone tell me why cutting some types of vinyl gives excessive white noise, and others are very quiet. I tried to heat the surface more, and also the stylus, but without success. Thanks in advance for any help !! !!

piaptk

Re: White noise cutting

Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:35 am

Have you read the Newbie Starter Guide to make sure you are using the correct type of needle on the correct type of plastic? https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8328

Also, once the needle is toast (which it might be if you used it on the wrong type of plastic), it will never again be quiet.

There are also a million different adjustments that have to be just right to get a quiet groove... angle, weight, etc.

I sell skype/facetime tech support calls if you are interested.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Coccolino

Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:35 am

Hello Piaptk !!!!!! Thanks for answering me, and for your invaluable help. I own the Vrx 2000, and I buy the Harmodiscs, but I have noticed that those manufactured in 2022 seem different in composition from the old ones, as with the new one, after cutting it, when listening it gives a tremendous white noise that is practically unusable ; I thought it might be the stylus, but trying the previous version of harmodisc, it records well without noise; I don't know what material they are, if pvc or who knows what else. I also thought of trying to mount a sapphire needle, but not the original one as an owner of the same machine told me that the one for Grampiam can work, much cheaper than his, so I could buy them from you.

dubcutter89

Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:25 am

Hi Coccolino!
Interesting to hear you have a VRX2000 - not many around in usage!
From my deeper understanding the original Harmodisk and Vestax stylus combination was working quite good, but is obsolete since Vestax has passed years ago...
I don't know if there's new "Harmodisks" made - where do you buy them from?
Also not sure if the Grampian shank really fits that good, but could be. But then it is not only about the size/shank but also the material. Diamond or Spphire...
Maybe using MyShank Diamond and MyShank Blanks would be a good working solution, many people have good results with these!

Lukas
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

Coccolino

Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:06 am

Hello Lukas !!!!! I am pleased to meet another who owns the Vestax !!!! I buy harmodiscs in Japan, and they were fine, then I bought new ones from 2022, and testing one I had the bitter surprise that when I listen to them they make a terrible white noise, which with the 2021 version they don't give me. How can I solve this problem ? Will they be hardest than the others? or maybe someone can happen? I will try to test others.You can help me, also to make the sapphire Adamant needle last longer, for now I can cut about 20 discs on both sides.If you can give me some advice on the machine how to best use it, I will be grateful. If you want to buy the harmodiscs just let me know. Are you in Europe?

dubcutter89

Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:00 am

Hey Coccolino!
Not a Vestax owner, but always wanted to own one or at least see it in reallity...
As said maybe the most straight forward approach is to use MyShank stuff. I'm not sure if there's a good supply for vestax stuff as the company is gone for years..
I'm in europe, feel free to pm or so if you want to chat about recording stuff.

Lukas
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

Coccolino

Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:55 am

Hey Lukas !!!! can you tell me if there is possibility to change the angle in the Vestax ? at the bottom of the head where the pin is fixed where the stylus is mounted there are a screw with two blades that support the pin and it seems that they can be moved by loosening two screws, but I would not touch anything in my head.