New to record styli but not do diamond tools..

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

edge.technologies

New to record styli but not do diamond tools..

Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:24 pm

Hello everyone,
Yes I've been living under a rock...I just crawled out and discovered that there is a need for somebody to make and resharpen cutting styli. Ive been making high precision diamond tooling for 30 years and have started working on a few styli.
The founder of this company made the diamond styli for the RCA video disc player back in the 70's ( any of you are old enough to remember that?) The unique technology he developed for polishing diamond is the foundation upon which this company is built upon.

I need to get more experience to understand the nuances required for good styli performance. If anybody can direct me to information on them...crystal type and orientation, edge geometries, depth of cut, holder geometries i'd greatly appreciate it. Even better If you have a dull styli or 2 that I can inspect and or resharpen...that would be very very helpful.

Thanks

Andy Simonson
Chief Engineer, Edge Technologies Inc

trailerparkjesus

Re: New to record styli but not do diamond tools..

Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:29 pm

Most definitely interested, are you in the states?

jjgolden

Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:22 pm

We do need more options for styli for sure. Resharpening would be amazing as well.
Do you have any documentation currently?
i.e. old spec sheets for neumann / micropoint etc ?

Phinster

Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:01 am

Have the original Micropoint spec.the Neumann collet spec and a patent filing from JVC when they made a few diamond

styli in the mid 70's..if you send an email, can upload all this too you...Cheers

MrRom92

Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:54 am

edge.technologies wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:24 pm
Hello everyone,
Yes I've been living under a rock...I just crawled out and discovered that there is a need for somebody to make and resharpen cutting styli. Ive been making high precision diamond tooling for 30 years and have started working on a few styli.
The founder of this company made the diamond styli for the RCA video disc player back in the 70's ( any of you are old enough to remember that?) The unique technology he developed for polishing diamond is the foundation upon which this company is built upon.

I need to get more experience to understand the nuances required for good styli performance. If anybody can direct me to information on them...crystal type and orientation, edge geometries, depth of cut, holder geometries i'd greatly appreciate it. Even better If you have a dull styli or 2 that I can inspect and or resharpen...that would be very very helpful.

Thanks

Andy Simonson
Chief Engineer, Edge Technologies Inc

Hi Andy,

Thanks for posting here. Good to know that there is always someone newly interested in keeping records alive…
Just to clarify, you are looking for info on playback styli? Or actual record cutting styli? Both?

My understanding is that the current cutting stylus situation isn’t good since last year’s Apollo fire. I may have a worn Transco cutting stylus I can send you, if it’s of any help.

tragwag

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:59 pm

hey Andy, very interested! I have the micropoint brochure as well which gets into some technical measurements and discussion of stylus geometry.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

dmills

Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:29 am

There is some stuff in the AES Disk recording anthology about cutting stylus geometry and the design of such things as the burnishing facets.