Info needed on a Fairchild unit

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Jake

Info needed on a Fairchild unit

Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:52 am

I am a newbie and a recording engineer/ musician. I just inherited a device from Fairchild. It is a lathe to cut records. It is a self contained unit. I cannot find hardly anything on the net about this unit. I see the tone arms can be valuable. It is a 209. I can attach a few pictures. Does anyone know anything about this or if the boards could provide any info on it? Thanks in advance!

Jake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

emorritt

Re: Info needed on a Fairchild unit

Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:42 am

This is a transcription turntable; not a recorder. The device in the arm is a pickup, not a cutter. I'm not aware that Fairchild made any "tonearm" style recorders like the Presto 75A. The recording machines made by Fairchild would have an overhead/feed mechanism with the recorder attached to that and a very similar looking tonearm/pickup for playback. From the looks of the turntable, this unit probably has a "green flyer" motor, indicated by the speed adjustment at the rear of the turntable.

Jake

Re: Info needed on a Fairchild unit

Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:36 pm

emorritt,

thank you for the info. Is it worth anything as a unit or is the arm itself of any value?

Jake