Lacquer Used to Coat Master Discs

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

ExquisitePastry

Lacquer Used to Coat Master Discs

Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:50 am

Hi all,

I currently work as a research assistant where my project is to repurpose the vinyl grooves when cut to use as microfluidic devices (basically really small plumbing to flow small amounts of fluid across a surface). To my understanding, vinyl masters are usually made of some soft metal and then coated with nitrocellulose lacquer. Is there a way for me to get my hands on the specific lacquer that is used for this process? I believe some guitars are finished in this type of lacquer but I am not too sure if it is the same formulation. Also, does anyone know the process of application & drying the lacquer that is used on the disc?

Athough I am definitely not passionate of vinyl cutting, I do think it is really cool that such a community exists here

markrob

Re: Lacquer Used to Coat Master Discs

Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:31 pm

Hi,

Check out this source:

https://www.apollomasters.com/index.html

Mark

Aussie0zborn

Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:00 am

Unfortunately that's a tightly held secret. If we knew the formula, there would be more than just two manufacturers in the world.

Two of our members here have four different formulas between them. A search might help. The lacquer is applied to the polished alunium substrate via a curtain coater. I've seen the process but don't recall how they're dried. You can see the process on a YouTube video called, "How It's Made - Vinyl Records". Good luck.

ExquisitePastry

Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:39 pm

Thanks for the response guys, I'll definitely check out the formulations by the board members in here.

I was very surprised how hard was to obtain information out there about the fabrication process along with the reasons one why certain methods are used over others. I have an easier time finding data in my research interests, which is a fairly niche field for my study, than information on vinyl mastering. I guess I know why now, thanks again guys!

fredbissnette

Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:18 pm

a proper wizard never reveals all
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

emorritt

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:01 pm

It never ceases to amaze me that what is now ancient technology - that wasn't even patentable in the first place - is "tightly guarded." Even if someone has "the formula" - making a viable recording disc, much less something the quality of a master, would be impossible without all the supporting equipment necessary to the process. Surface prep, the coating process, the drying process, center hole punching, inspection, testing, QC, R&D - a pretty overwhelming process; the formula is just a drop in the bucket, for lack of a better expression. 8)

emidisc

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:11 pm

I can not help thinking there is a certain amount of “Smoke & Mirrors” with the process

Tellsan

Thu May 28, 2020 8:44 pm

Lets just say you better like thinking out of the box,,,,,,,,,& then out of that box,,,,,,,,,,,& again out of that box,,,,,,& then out of that box....
I hope you get the idea.