DMM questions

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

ectomorphs

Re: DMM questions

Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:10 am

Thanks Thomas for sharing that article! George Alexandrovich has been so helpful for my research but I never knew he wrote an article about DMM! And thanks to Dub Bull for the corrections! There will be a chapter dedicated to DMM in a book I'm writing - informed by interviews with several DMM experts - but it will be mostly about how it has created a variant of analog audio disc making to support the survival of vinyl record manufacturing more generally (rather than about the technical details) - despite it largely being written off as a commercial failure. There will also be a short version of this in an academic article I'm finalizing that will be published next year - I'll make sure to provide a link once it's online. Thanks to everyone in this community for doing some really good detective work on the subject!

farmersplow

Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:37 am

ectomorphs wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:10 am
Thanks Thomas for sharing that article!
:lol:

ectomorphs

Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:04 pm

Dear Lathe Trolls,
My academic paper (co-authored with professors Tina Dacin and Santi Furnari) on preserving practices with an empirical focus on developments in vinyl record manufacturing in recent decades has now been published online: https://journals.aom.org/doi/10.5465/amj.2022.0605
The paper highlights several innovations that took place when the vinyl record was already being written off as obsolete; members of this community are of course very much familiar with these, so I’m not sure to what extent you will find the information useful. The bigger point I’m trying to make, however, is that we can learn lessons from vinyl record manufacturing in the digital age that could be applied to grass roots preservation efforts in other settings.
Unfortunately, the publisher does not allow open access. However, I want to make sure everyone who is interested in it can read it without having to make a payment. If you would like a copy of the non-copy-edited version of the paper, please send me a message either via the forum (make sure to include your email address) or send me an email (you can find my email address here: https://www.wbs.ac.uk/about/person/rene-wiedner/). Apparently, I’m allowed to send copies of the non-copy-edited version to individuals but not make it available via a link – otherwise I would have done so.
I’m very much aware that much in the paper about vinyl record manufacturing contains gross over-simplifications. Also, that it is limited to just a few developments over a few decades. There is obviously much more to say and the publisher forced me to cut down the original paper by over 30%. However, my next project is to expand on my findings in a book. So, if there is anything in the paper you disagree with, or anything you think that should be added, please let me know so I can try to address your points in the book.
Finally, thank you so much for being so open and sharing information with me so freely (via email, zoom calls, phone conversations, etc.) – I very much hope I can give something back by highlighting your contributions to keeping analog audio disc making alive!
-Rene

farmersplow

Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:58 pm

ectomorphs wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:04 pm
Dear Lathe Trolls,
My academic paper ...
...Finally, thank you so much for being so open and sharing information with me so freely (via email, zoom calls, phone conversations, etc.) – I very much hope I can give something back by highlighting your contributions to keeping analog audio disc making alive!
-Rene
Hi Rene, I think it's great that you've taken up this topic and written a paper about it. I will send you an e-mail because I am very interested in your work. Good luck also for your extended elaboration (and maybe I can support a little).
Greetings from Austria
Thomas