Digital Delay for VMS70 - Gauging Interest

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Re: Digital Delay for VMS70 - Gauging Interest

Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:08 am

I can make one. It is an off the shelf AES delay with a custom chip that handles the off the delay speed via the user selection on the front panel. PSU. AES in and Out. That is it. If anyone is serious I could easily build one for 2K.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

opcode66

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:34 pm

I've done some research here. The only off the shelf solutions I can find that allow for setting the delay via serial communications operate at 48k and below. But, I'm working on a project that involves AES reciever/transmitter and 32 bit programmable pics. So, after completing this work, I'll know everything I need to know to create a clock sensing box that can do 192k stereo delay at various speeds for cutting. I'll post later this year when ready.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

pellegrino707

Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:59 am

I also would be very interested in this unit, seems the perfect unit for cutting.

A part for the TC electronics one and the EMT one, are in the market other delays usable for cutting?

nanthtommas

Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:19 am

I am very interested in this post and I will pay further attention to this post.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fashion bubble football : Bumper ball

Radardoug

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:53 am

Klark Teknik make suitable delays you can pick up for a couple of hundred dollars. Mono though.

Aussie0zborn

Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:52 pm

Yes Klark Teknik made digital delays specifically for disc cutting in the late 80s. I've seen two of them and they're definitely stereo. I think you'll find better digital delays these days.

opcode66

Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:28 am

192K 24bit Programmable AES Delay Project

I've been working on this project here and there between other things. I had some contract work that provided me with the know-how and tools to start this project earnestly. So, I put together a basic block diagram and ordered parts. Since I'm prototyping, these chips are currently soldered onto DIP converter boards. This will make it easier to do the initial circuit development. My finalized PCB will be SMD without using DIP converters. Learning the ins and outs of SMD work was something I was putting off. I'm Glad I spent the time to learn the techniques. There really was no other way for me to do this project using the latest chips without learning SMD. There are no 32bit DIP pic chips from Microchip.com. They are all SMD... The only DIP chips are the high speed Flash RAM used for the delay buffer which can be seen in the tube at the top.

The rest of the chips are: a 32bit Pic, an extremely high quality dac, an extremely high quality AES receiver/transmitter, and a USB audio host chip. The work should mostly be all downhill from here. You'll be able to switch between USB or AES as input on the interface. There will be both analog outputs and a single AES output for the delayed audio from the monitored input. If you want realtime analog copies of the digital input, I can add a secondary DAC and analog outputs for this purpose.

The Pic chip receives interrupts to know when the clock has changed on the digital audio receiver chip being monitored, gets the clock value, and then sets the value on the output dac for automatic alignment. No need to set that on the interface. A five position knob provides a means to select you desired cutting speed: 16 2/3, 22.5, 33.3, 45, 78. The cutting speed determines the delay value. I can set custom delay values per speed depending on your particular p/d system requirements. Anyone interested should contact me. I will likely be finishing the first prototype sometime in February or March of 2017. I will update here.

I'll also be making a broadcast version with an I2C interface for setting the delay time and possibly some other under the hood features remotely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.