Dubplate shortage

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

audiocarver

Re: Dubplate shortage

Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:41 am

I've wondered if a copper oleate type material would work ok or not. It would give the benefit of being able to cut on a conventional lacquer lathe setup but have similar properties to just plain copper. Unfortunately the plating and pressing plant would have to use a process similar to the DMM process of plating.

The cost would be high though to use and produce; to find it in varying forms of solidity would have to be devised as it is generally found as a waxy paste.

Dub Studio

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:37 am

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am not against looking at alternatives to the existing supply, and I would support anyone wanting to pursue that route. Who knows, maybe something will come of it, but I have to say the idea of circumventing legal / safety / environmental issues makes me feel pretty uneasy.

Besides, we are lathe trolls right? Not curtain coating trolls.... I mean, any solution is gonna take months, if not years to develop and bring to market. I have clients who want to buy dubs today. I have spent the last 12 years telling my clients they can buy their dubs today. Same as they have done for decades now. I am a cutting engineer, and I like cutting dubs, not slathering nitrocellulose onto aluminium discs.

I have just used my last box of 12inch dubs, and now I am not sure when I can get any more in. I have this ridiculous situation now where my clients are trying to get hold of their own boxes of dubs, so they can guarantee their own supply, and clients from other studios wanting to buy blank dubs from me because their own cutting houses have run out.

The obvious solution to this problem is for the people who have the licences, the expertise and the equipment to step up and sort the supply out. Its not our responsibility to sort this situation out, its theirs. They have a product, which they know how to make, and are legally allowed to make, which people want to buy... what gives?

audiocarver

Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:21 am

This shortage of blanks is a microcosm of the problem now that there is renewed interest in the format. I'm also concerned about availability of equipment and other supplies. The backlog at plating and pressing plants.

Its a good problem to have, for a change, but now there is a need for larger investment for sure on all fronts of the industry. I read that 2014 was a banner year for vinyl sales, it's now back at 1987 sales levels! Sales are up 53% in the first quarter already this year!

It would be nice to have other places like Capps or Gotham audio again! :D

Dub Studio

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:36 am

Yes I agree its good that vinyl is as healthy as it is, but surely now is the time to capitalise on all the good will towards this format? 5 years ago I could get Transco and Apollo dubs in all sizes, as well as lacquers, not to mention MDC. And vinyl was supposed to be a dead format then. Serato anyone? How did we go from that to get to this bizarre situation?

Surely the one problem we can now solve fairly easily is a shortage of dubs... unlike all the other problems the industry faces, this is a fully functioning and infinitely scalable production process. If you can't keep up, hire more staff, get more machinery, do whatever it takes to get production up. No?

ROLANDJAYS

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:55 am

So if there out of dubs , the only other option is to buy full price blanks ?

Dub Studio

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:21 pm

I don't know, you would have to ask them. I am in the UK, so the situation may be different stateside. Good luck!

jjgolden

Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:19 pm

Apollo Dubs back ordered till end of July now…
Forced to buy more 12" masters for refs.

JJG

Greg Reierson

Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:36 pm

I recieved a box of 12" Apollo dubs this past week. I got an email saying they were back ordered but they arrived a few days later.
Greg Reierson
http://www.RareFormMastering.com
VMS70 :: SAL74B :: SX74

jjgolden

Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:31 pm

I got an email saying they were back ordered but they arrived a few days later.
Nice surprise!

piaptk

Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:31 pm

I've got a box of 25x 12" reference lites (about a year old). The discs are still in the shrink. I'm not in any huge hurry to get rid of them, but if someone is hard up for 12"s, I would sell them for my cost.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com