adjusting PS66 Programmer // VMS70

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

prof msg

adjusting PS66 Programmer // VMS70

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:19 pm

Besides the procedure described in the manual with 200 Hz tone, does anyone have a sequence of tones they use to adjust the LL, LV, V pots? Perhaps at various intervals, frequency, level.
I used to have a DAT that Sean Davies had provided me with. As I recall it had a series of blips rather than tone.

-Kevin

concretecowboy71

Re: adjusting PS66 Programmer // VMS70

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:30 am

Chris Muth has taught me with 200hz tones. The procedure is similar to the manual but subtlety different and I feel that my machines are aligned very well. He also stressed to me that once you are done with the written directions to really watch the grooves when you cut regular program material. The box usually needs a bit of tweaking to get it just right. Usually small adjustments to the LL and LV either to conserve a bit more space or to avoid overcuts if they are happening.
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

prof msg

Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:33 am

Yes the fine tweaking is with music for sure. For the most part it's just right, but some types of program open it up a lot. SV cards are getting checked out soon.

thanks

concretecowboy71

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:28 am

I have seen two different specs for alignment of the SV cards. The one in the VMS 66 manual and there was an update in the mid 70s. Basically there needs to be a 2:1 ratio between the two cards. The two settings I have seen are 1.9v to 3.8 and 2.5 to 5. The 2.5 to 5 setup being the more modern of the two.

Hopefully others chime in with tips. I used to be afraid to touch the programmer settings, but have found that you can really tweak if for your personal style. I do still have some program material that blows the LPI wide open, but it must usually be low frequency junk the client did not filter out correctly.

prof msg

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:06 pm

I'm running at the 2.5 / 5 V spec. And yes, it's ussually very low information that opens it up too much.

concretecowboy71

Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:27 pm

Try using a high pass a various points between 20 and 40hz to see if you see a difference.

I see masters in all sorts of strange conditions and find sometimes this helps.

chenry57

Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:04 pm

concretecowboy71 wrote:I have seen two different specs for alignment of the SV cards. The one in the VMS 66 manual and there was an update in the mid 70s. Basically there needs to be a 2:1 ratio between the two cards. The two settings I have seen are 1.9v to 3.8 and 2.5 to 5. The 2.5 to 5 setup being the more modern of the two.

Hopefully others chime in with tips. I used to be afraid to touch the programmer settings, but have found that you can really tweak if for your personal style. I do still have some program material that blows the LPI wide open, but it must usually be low frequency junk the client did not filter out correctly.

Interesting you point out low frequency stuff. A few months ago I was baffled by a master that didn't have much low end, but was triggering the pitch computer unnaturally. Low and behold a 20 Hz high pass filter fixed it. Just out of curiousity I burned a CD of the master that had a low pass at 20 Hz, and played it in my car (which has a blown speaker) and the master caused that speaker to buzz randomly. I'm guessing that it is rumble in the original recording where a room mic was vibrating on its stand or something. Since then I've always checked masters with filters.