Sticky residue on Apollo Dubs

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

gold

Re: Sticky residue on Apollo Dubs

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks for the detailed explanation Terry. It's nice that you are on top of it and care.

Apollo

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:36 pm

Thanks Guys, and again sorry for the hick up, we appreciate your patience. There are sure to be some still out there so let us know and we will get them replaced for you on your next orders. We are committed in getting you the best quality Lacquers possible.Thanks for your business. :)
Apollo / Transco

jjgolden

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:01 pm

Yes, Thanks for your involvement here Terry/Apollo!
And thanks for all the work you guys are doing over there to keep us all in business!
Sincerely,
JJG

opcode66

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:09 pm

Seriously, where's the like button???

Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Angus McCarthy

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:20 pm

opcode66 wrote:Seriously, where's the like button???

gold

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:39 pm

I just got a dub with a bubble at the beginning of the "bad" side. I don't know why I never thought of it before but I scraped it flat with a razor blade. It worked pretty well. You can hear it a little but it's in the lead in and it's much better than having the cutter head bounce and trash the stylus.

jjgolden

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:15 am

Cool, we've been doing that too. Whatever works to get the good side as flat as possible.

humongous

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:38 pm

I have been having major problems with rippling in the 14" master lacquers from Apollo for the last couple of months. They have been cool about taking them back and sending me new ones to replace, but I keep getting bad ones. The latest box has been all bad so far, I stopped after checking 10 and am going to have to send this whole box back too. Is anyone else having problems with this still? This is very frustrating and I am falling behind in my work and clients are getting frustrated. Any suggestions or comments on what to do or ask for?
Jeff Powell
drybonz at aol dot com

Apollo

Wed May 01, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi all,
Once again I apologize for this issue and I assure you we are working through it and it will not be with us much longer. Our tests are showing current production has no ripples and is flatter than ever.
Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, there will still be some of the produced aged discs out there with this random issue. Each batch takes about two months to be ready for shipment and there are literally tens of thousands of discs in various stages of production. If the issue was not random, or tied to a particular batch, I could pull that batch from inventory. It is also why it seems like it takes so long for issues to be corrected. Since this ripple was caused by a random production issue, it took several months to identify and work through.
One might ask why we don't remove them as we see them in inspection. Our problem here is we cannot not see the ripple with visual inspection. It only shows itself after the discs are pulled down on a lathe with a bright light over them. We do not punch the discs until they are ready to ship and cannot turntable test them without causing damage or else we would test every one.
We do now pull discs from every batch for turntable testing, and as we have replaced bearings, carriers, and motors in our production line, we have seen constant improvement to the point where we are not finding any with the issue at all.
This gives me confidence in telling you that the issue has been corrected and tell you I appreciate your patience and understanding as we have worked through this. There will still be some that we do not catch with the aged inventory for a bit, so if you would just set those aside and let us know when you order, we can get them replaced for you.
Sincerely,
Terry
Apollo / Transco

jjgolden

Wed May 01, 2013 1:56 pm

Thanks for the update Terry,
Greatly appreciated :)

JJG

concretecowboy71

Wed May 01, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks for the detailed explanation of what is going on.

I was having ripple issues also, but they seem to be getting better. The edges are looking better to when I pull the purple band off and the center holes have gotten cleaner, although I am getting some flaking still here and there.

I go thorough a lot of lacquers and am currently on batch number 11 (Transco Brand).

Thanks again!
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

humongous

Thu May 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Thank you for the reply Apollo! I appreciate you dealing with this issue head on.
Jeff Powell
drybonz at aol dot com