Calibration of program controller boxes. VMS-70.

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

concretecowboy71

Calibration of program controller boxes. VMS-70.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:44 pm

Spent the last couple days recalibrating my VMS-70 program controller boxes and the experience has been pretty good. I think the quality of my cuts has gone up and it has given me some real practical experience watching how LL, LV and V all interact.

A couple people suggested following the calibration procedure in the manual and then tweaking the settings to allow for best operation under my particular conditions. Even the manual suggests tweaking for different program material.

My question is then: Does anybody here tweak their setting or do you set it and forget it? Any tips regarding program material versus settings? If you use aftermarket pitch and depth, how do they interface with the program boxes?

Just looking to deepen the well of my practical knowledge.

Phinster

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:35 am

When I ran a '70 used to tweak the LL sometimes to cut a little tighter or
looser. Just mark down your nominal setting or any changes you may make
in case you have to duplicate the results later.... 8)

flozki

Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:12 am

adjusting as described in the manual is a must.
but before.
then new belts. new rubber couplings. new ballbearings.
recap everything.
if you can get a new tachometer. replace it. it is basically a small dc motor with brushes. the brushes and the bearings are worn out after 40 years and the tachometer gives random or inaccurate voltage .this can cause a lot of troubles if you want to work accurate.

if you did all the above you have a solid basis.

but even with the best calibrated original vms66/70 pitch you can cut the same cut 5 times and you end up having different results ,or even overcuts if you cut really tight.

this is a design problem of the vms70 and a lot of old and experienced record industry cutters confirmed me this fact.

you can also see that tweaking the pitch system was way in the beginning when the system came out was the normal way to proceed.
all mastering consoles had a lateral , vertical offset knob. (step attentuators).
this was used during the cuts to optimise your settings for the particular audio material.
but with preview offset you can leave the ll,lv etc. settings in the calibrated position and do quick and reproducable offset settings.
i guess with the time you learn what is a difficult material for the pitch controller....

now.you can igonore all that written above and still cut nice and good records.
but if it goes to long sides you will maybe cut the stuff many times ...and not that relaxed.
as lee perry said about his studio:
"it was only four tracks written on the machine, but I was picking up twenty from the extraterrestral squad..."
you may also get some help of extraterrestral forces.....

dietrich10

Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:07 am

flozki wrote:a
if you can get a new tachometer. .....
is there a replacement for the tachometer anywhere? a way to rebuild?

cowboy-LL yes as above. squeeze some more out if not bass heavy content and need to do long sides
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

concretecowboy71

Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:34 am

Great info! Thanks. I think this is great stuff for people to know.

Bonati

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:35 pm

flozki wrote:but with preview offset you can leave the ll,lv etc. settings in the calibrated position and do quick and reproducable offset settings...
So that's the basis for the preview offsets on the Maselec VMS-70 controller, right? I never understood that until now. Holy shit. The light bulbs in my head turn on slowly, but at least they turn on.
is there a replacement for the tachometer anywhere?
Wondering the same thing. I'm slightly nervous about toying with it as I remember Al telling me something like the brushes were extremely delicate and some "informed caution" was necessary.

dietrich10

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:45 pm

What is the real difference between 'preview offset' or giving extra signal to the pitch audio channels..
cutting lacquers-vms70 system