Helium

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

jtransition

Helium

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:53 am

Who is using what?
I am using medical grade 99.997 % pure as recomended 13years ago ,with no problems but i have noticed a few people using baloon gas which varies in purity,
Has anyone used both for a considerable time?
Thanks

Jason

concretecowboy71

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:27 am

The Neumann manual says to buy the lowest grade available.

Bonati

Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:59 am

I'm also following the manual's advice. I'm renting the smallest tank available - it's probably the same tank that the company rents to moms & clowns for balloons. Seems to be working fine. Maybe Kevin Gray could chime in here if he's had any experience with various types of helium and how they affect performance (if at all).

mossboss

Hellium

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:02 pm

Well lts be realistic guys It is only used for cooling down the head so purity matters zilts Lowets cost its the way to go
Neumann also suggests to be left onat all times but that was back in the days where it may have been cheap not nw days
By the way you need a proper hellium guage as the stuff would leak out through the damn threads as it is the second smallest atom known hydrogen being the smallest
We turn it off after a cut always
Cheers
Chris

Bonati

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:41 pm

Thanks Chris - good to know. I also shut the tanks off at the end of the day.

dietrich10

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:14 pm

I've only seen one option of helium choices at the few places near me.

Tank is only opened when lathe on. A few guys I know do not even use any more(with less dance cuts).
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

flozki

Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:42 pm

hmmm. let the helium run through a glas (gold is even better) pyramide with a germanium (99.98) cube of exactly (sqrt(5)+1)/2 side lengt inside.
this gives you another 2 extra dBs in the highs. and the sound becomes incredible transparent.
also i can swing the best place for your lathe in your studio...at least another 1-2 dBs.

use ballon gas. dont forget to turn off after the cut. a solenoid controlled by cutter up signal. makes your bottle last for almost ever...
and the coils will thank you...

mossboss

Hellium

Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:21 am

Hey Flo
Is this fact? Sounds like resharpenning your razor blades in a paper pyramid of some years ago Or preserving dead cat's in them as well :o
Some photos please if poss
Thanks Flo
Cheers
Chris

GeorgeZ

Re: Hellium

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:09 am

mossboss wrote:Hey Flo
Is this fact? Sounds like resharpenning your razor blades in a paper pyramid of some years ago Or preserving dead cat's in them as well :o
Some photos please if poss
Thanks Flo
Cheers
Hi Chris,

sorry for off topic, but do you know that the case with fast resharpening of razor blades is patented by a Czech micro-wave engineer Karel Drbal?

http://silesia.wz.cz/drbaleng.htm

more auto-translated info here:
http://translate.google.cz/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=cs&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oranzovestranky.cz%2Fview.php%3Fcisloclanku%3D2005120205&sl=cs&tl=en

Maybe Flo also can use some kind of "esoteric power"? :D
Jiri Zita
Premastering manager
GZ Vinyl / GZ Media Lodenice
Czech Republic

Bonati

Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:22 pm

Hi Flo - interesting things here. Could you maybe explain in more detail?
flozki wrote:hmmm. let the helium run through a glas (gold is even better) pyramide with a germanium (99.98) cube of exactly (sqrt(5)+1)/2 side lengt inside. this gives you another 2 extra dBs in the highs. and the sound becomes incredible transparent.
Do you have any pictures of this setup? What's a gold pyramid??
also i can swing the best place for your lathe in your studio...at least another 1-2 dBs.
What do you mean here? Lathe placement = higher cutting levels?
use ballon gas. dont forget to turn off after the cut. a solenoid controlled by cutter up signal. makes your bottle last for almost ever...
So...this system shuts off the helium valve when the cutterhead is lifted after cutting? Does the flow meter/helium turn "on" when the cutterhead is lowered? Did you design this?

jtransition

Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:36 pm

flozki wrote:hmmm. let the helium run through a glas (gold is even better) pyramide with a germanium (99.98) cube of exactly (sqrt(5)+1)/2 side lengt inside.
this gives you another 2 extra dBs in the highs. and the sound becomes incredible transparent.
LOL
I like the solenoid idea