Professional Record Cutters

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Third

Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:24 am

I'm a trade secret free zone cos i don't have any. And if I don't post sometimes is because I'm busy, or on my off shift.
I may be proffessional, but only because I'm paid to do this. I'd probably be the one to learn from the non pro's.
Eitherway, information is free, we just share it. I can't tell you about sourcing blanks or styli as I don't do that and have a procurment machine of admin folk who do all that.
It's not getting to the summit thats important, it's how you climb the mountain.

Simon

Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:02 am

There are currently loads of pro cutters complaining about the cost of blanks.

Loads of people complaining about the cost of Diamond styli for cutting plastic.

No real source to by plastic unless you buy a system which is fine for some people including me, my only issue is if I try and start to build a business and suddenly the supply stops and I am not able to purchase materials for one reason or another.

No place to get old parts at a good price for pro systems or exchange service

Only two sources who both make fine systems to buy new lathes
Last edited by Simon on Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

Simon

Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:14 pm

It is a great shame that people can not work together and allow the community to flourish.

I am just frustrated with the industry that's all.

Everyone who supply's kit has to make monies -- it is common sense.

The two new systems that are in the market both perform well, I have seen them both, a lot of the issues with the quality are are related to the user or the quality of the master that is being recorded.

A good worker does not blame his or her tools, it is all about developing your skills and learning from others.

That is why this forum is here - to offer help to it's members by sharing information and developing new and old processes.

There is no point in politics.

Happy Holidays to one and all. :D

PS I hope no one take my posts too much to heart - I have only stated the facts that have already been pointed out on this forum and other forums.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

Third

Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:17 am

Not at all Simon, it's good to have a passion about cutting.
Happy hols and happy nu yr.
It's not getting to the summit thats important, it's how you climb the mountain.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:18 pm

ta da!! your wish is my command! Someone should author a better description for what you'd like done in this section. Mine is more than a little tongue in cheek. Happy Holidays!

mossboss

Pro Section

Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:48 pm

Hey Steve
Thank you I never knew dead bodies can still be active
In this case it seems so
I am sure others here are thankfull as well
Keep it up Great work in keeping this forum going for the benefit of all and sundry
I wish to ask again that people posting here in this section be best using they real names besides a "handle" so as to spread the word of who where etc
Best of the season to all
Cheers
Last edited by mossboss on Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Simon

Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:29 am

I already do Chris. :lol:

Happy Holidays.

fraggle

Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:31 pm

great posts simon.
regarding that one machine where you just get support if you buy the cutter if you are then allowed to buy one hehe
it's almost like in back in the old days the communists have taken over again. rules after rules no free market at all...

djlithium

Fri May 07, 2010 1:28 am

I thought I would throw this out there even though I would probably get shot for it.. but I know some one in hongkong who does amazing "cloning" work for classic electronics - and theoretically if you wanted a completely new system say like a clone of the vinylium system on a home desktop lathe they could do it. Problem is they need two units to clone. one to rip apart, the other to test the clone against for consistency benchmarking. But it is doable. Just takes money.
The clone (I have discussed this at length with the guy) after the first 20 to 30 units would probably be less than 3000USD and be completely computer controlled.

You could then get vinyl dubs or acetate done in hongkong seriously cheap. They did and still do have a decent record industry over there to a certain degree. I think they still have at least 2 operating plants in hongkong. We just don't hear about them for obvious reasons. totally other world.
I need a full cutting solution. But would consider parts :)

mossboss

dj

Fri May 07, 2010 4:12 am

You ought to be cut and strung out to dry
Ah and you may wonder why there is no jobs for some as well as any kids you may ever have
Arghhhhhhhhhh
Chris

fraggle

Fri May 07, 2010 4:30 am

you are right you probably will get shot!

Bonati

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:54 am

Hi everyone. First post. I've lurked on this forum for years and finally signed up. Thanks for everyone's contribution to the forum so far - I've learned quite a bit.

I'm cutting on a VMS70/SX74/SAL74B system rebuilt by Al Grundy. I learned most everything I know about cutting from Al and Paul Gold here in Brooklyn.

Aussie0zborn

Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:27 am

Welcome to the Trolls, Josh. Nice mastering room!

gengy

Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:47 am

Hi Josh! ;)
Nice toys!

Bonati

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:48 pm

Hi Gengy! Good to see you here too.