Starting a press - Prelim

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mxdsa

Starting a press - Prelim

Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi All, I'm Caleb, in Kansas City, MO. I am considering starting a press. Currently researching, working on numbers, profit/loss analysis, seeking advice, learning about the process. For the presses I'm looking at the NewBilt duplex system.

Obviously this is a huge endeavor, so I'm trying not to underestimate the costs and complexities. The big unknowns so far (for my preliminary estimations) are energy consumption (cost, really) and the big one - market.

Any rough ideas on energy usage for the cooling system and boiler? I'm assuming the steam boilers are natural gas powered? I have numbers on the duplex' consumption - 21kW - which doesn't come up to too much. The cooler and boiler will only be running while the presses are running, is that correct? Can anyone estimate the energy usage of a 50 or 75 hp boiler?

And the Market... In your opinion and experience, is the demand really as high as I hear? I'm told that presses are backlogged for months. If that is the case, it doesn't seem unrealistic to get at least a dozen orders in a month, right? What are the typical orders for small presses, 300 or so, 500?

Mostly I wanted to say hello. I've learned a lot reading through past conversations, so thanks. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Caleb

Aussie0zborn

Re: Starting a press - Prelim

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:18 pm

A whole week, 132 views and not one answer to this post.
Welcome to the forum, Caleb.

My advice is.... DON'T DO IT.
It's apparent that you don't know the first thing about it so why risk your money?

You want to start a "press"? You mean PRESSING PLANT, right?
If you don't know what it's called, WTF are you doing?

You would be happy with a dozen orders a month?
You might prefer to drive a cab.

Nobody is going to work out the cost per disc for you.
Find a job that suits you and save your dough, young man.

mxdsa

Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Aussie, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I meant start a pressing plant, press records (but not the lacquering) and package when needed.

I've worked out costs and numbers quite a bit more since last week. You're right: a dozen would be too few orders.

You're mostly right again: I don't know much about the industrial aspects of pressing vinyl. I'm not a mechanical engineer. In my first email I mentioned the NewBilt system. I'm also looking into Viryl Tech's new Lite Tone, which seems to be a better fit for me. I'm not all in yet, still have a lot to figure out before I decide.

And risking money? The way I see it, I only get to be alive once, so if this turns out to be a fulfilling and even profitable endeavor, why not?

Why is your advice an adamant DON'T? Because of my inexperience? I've been talking to people who run other pressing plants, as well as record labels for their insight. I am certainly not looking for only rosy answers, and if you have a dose of reality for me, I'll take it. Can you be specific?

I've worked out cost per disc, startup costs, etc, obviously all estimates. I wasn't asking for cost per disc. Looking for input from those with experience, if they're willing to share.

Again, thanks.
Caleb

Aussie0zborn

Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Lacquering? What's that?

mischmerz

Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:33 pm

Well ... before you start .. make sure you understand the process. It's not only the lacquer cutting, there's the plating, the label printing and cutting, dealing with customers, packaging and so on. AFAIK the pressing is currently not really the bottle neck, it's the plating.

But what do I know ;)

m.

The Shank

Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:54 am

Aussie0zborn wrote:Lacquering? What's that?
Best reply ever
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

misjah

Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:59 am

In other words...You might want to read up and understand what is involved in the whole process from music to record.
Good luck!