GDR Pressing Plant - any information?

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

alex rex

GDR Pressing Plant - any information?

Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:19 pm

Hey, i'm looking for information about the only GDR (old east-germany) pressing plant. What machines did they used? Where did they come from - where did they go after the wall went down? Any information or pictures to share?

The Pressing Plant was located in Potsdam Babelsberg and was called: "VEB Deutsche Schallplatten GmbH". The plant was build up in the old factory of "Tempo Schallplatten GmbH".
Here are some pictures from a documentary-film about the GDR-Record-Label.

What is the name of the company, that has produced these machines? Any idea? What year? etc.
04.jpg
05.jpg
01.jpg
03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aussie0zborn

Re: GDR Pressing Plant - any information?

Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:26 am

How about posting a link to the video you mention?

alex rex

Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:42 am

here it is:
any guess, what's the name of the company that produced the presses? TTT or Alpha Toolex?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uko4VEjMoM&feature=youtu.be&t=2m40s

Aussie0zborn

Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:48 pm

They are TTT presses with Toolex Alpha moulds. Why do you ask?

alex rex

Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:10 pm

i'd like to know, where they went after the wall went down. Are parts of them still in use somewhere?
And it's realy interesting, that there was just one pressing plant in the GDR - and that they used machines from the west to produce their amiga, eterna and litera-records.
It's easy to get a lot of informations about the "VEB Deutsche Schallplatten" as a Lable but it's hard to get any information about the manufacturing in the GDR or even pictures of the plant.
I'm just interested in the history of the plant and what happend to the machines after 1990.

AD1207

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:05 pm

Deutsche Schallplatten had at least seven manual presses delivered by Alpha/Toolex Håma/Toolex Alpha. Most likely they also had at least three Toolex Alpha AD7 (fully automatic 7 inch presses) and three Toolex Alpha AD12.
Also a number of presses were sold via Zentral-Kommerz. But I don't know in which plant(s) they ended up.

I've also heard a story about a east german pressing plant who ordered a fully automatic Toolex press. This was apperantly a big happening. So there were (at least according to the story...) a big "welcoming comittee" with the plant manager in the front row when the truck, carrying the press, approach the plant. However, the truck was driving too fast when approaching the plant and flipped over in a sharp turn just before entering the gates to the plant. Unconfirmed roumors states that the plant manager burst into tears.
The sharp turn where the truck flipped over was later given the unofficial name "Die Pressekurve".

BR
Niklas
Pheenix Alpha AB