Homemade extruder nearly done, need pellets for trial

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

leethal

Homemade extruder nearly done, need pellets for trial

Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:57 am

Evening gents, as the title implys, I'm about ready to test my diy extruder. Only catch is I need a small quantity of vinyl pellets to test and fine tune it. Is there anybody out there able to sell a couple kilos or reccomend a vendor that will?

thanks in advance

leethal

Re: Homemade extruder nearly done, need pellets for trial

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:34 am

Lees pvc compound scorecard:

-Linvest in Germany...great comunication but shipping downunder requires a 2nd mortgage.
-hlt polymer in China...sketchy on the language barrier, wont ship less than a tonne.
-Thai plastic and chemicals...tumbleweeds.

and the winner, with good communication, acceptable prices, and all round dudeness is
-Dugdale in the UK !

should be testing my homemade extruder before easter \m/

Aussie0zborn

Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:55 pm

Tumbleweeds? Lee that might be considered very unfair.

You contacted companies that sell product by the tonne and criticize them for not being set up to sell you a handful of pellets?

Please think before posting criticisms in the forum. You can ofcourse say,

"I know my request was unrealistic but Dugdale were able to accommodate me".

Be nice be civil and keep it informative.

leethal

Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:06 pm

With all due respect I imformed all party's of my intention to buy a full tonne once I had compared products.

As far as TPC goes I've emailed 3 times and still haven't received reply, I told you this in our pms but that's where your assistance ended.

I will continue to reach them however simply coz of geography and shipping.

Perhaps I should use emoticons in the absence of tone inflection technology for written script :D

mossboss

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:34 am

Leethal
You have 4 choices here
1. Grind up some old 12" vinyl records, pass the ground up material through a fine sieve to get rid of the superfine crap in there, good to go
2. Give Paul a call at Zenith records in Melbourne he'll send you up a couple of KG of Compound
3. Give Mathew Hoyne a call at Welvic Australia, Melbourne based again, he will also accommodate you No doubt
4. An extruder will work with any material like HDLP or LDLP or PVC any plastic injection moulding shop in Brisbane will provide you with a few kg of polyethylene HD or LD It should suffice for testing, if they also have PVC available for you make sure it is plasticized and not UPVC

Cheers
Chris