Flexi pressing, time to get serious.

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Self-lather

Flexi pressing, time to get serious.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:19 am

Helo,

Ok, after my last post, I want to try to press a flexi. I did some testing, but had no idea what pressure/temp to try, so I ended up with a burnt sheet of acetate, and a not so fun time cleaning off the stamp I was using.

I think I have everything I would need. I have two heated platens and the ability to press up to 12 tons of pressure (which is probably overkill for a flexi). I have a perfectly flat stamper, which I think would be ideal for a flexi.

So does anyone know ideal temps, weight, and materials for pressing flexis? Is there any info on this? I tried to get some info out of Pirates Press, but they pulled the 'proprietary information' card when I started asking to many questions.

Thanks

-Thomas

mossboss

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:01 pm

How damn simple would it be if you just start with say 220 F on the side with the stamper
Leave the other cold or say a little warm enough to keep your hand on for say a minute or two
Than go from there increasing the temp by 10 degrees at the time until you find the happy medium
Use PVC clear sheets acetate shrinks to much,
Squirt a bit of shoe waterproofing aerosol stuff on the stamper so the crap does not stick while you are experimenting
It is 100% silicone and cheap
Once you got about right it than stop using the silicon clean the stamper and on you go
Don't heat two sides one side is enough and no more pressing time than enough to stamp the pvc sheets
Alternative is to preheat the sheets in an oven at soft stage and place them on your press for a final squeeze
Use two sheets of aluminum stick the PVC sheet in there than in the oven at about 250-300 F and try that as well
Use the material you are going to use in the future or you will be repeating it for any changes in material thickness type etc
Good luck
Cheers
Chris

Self-lather

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:04 am

mossboss wrote:How damn simple would it be if you just start with say 220 F on the side with the stamper
Leave the other cold or say a little warm enough to keep your hand on for say a minute or two
Than go from there increasing the temp by 10 degrees at the time until you find the happy medium
Use PVC clear sheets acetate shrinks to much,
Squirt a bit of shoe waterproofing aerosol stuff on the stamper so the crap does not stick while you are experimenting
It is 100% silicone and cheap
Once you got about right it than stop using the silicon clean the stamper and on you go
Don't heat two sides one side is enough and no more pressing time than enough to stamp the pvc sheets
Alternative is to preheat the sheets in an oven at soft stage and place them on your press for a final squeeze
Use two sheets of aluminum stick the PVC sheet in there than in the oven at about 250-300 F and try that as well
Use the material you are going to use in the future or you will be repeating it for any changes in material thickness type etc
Good luck
Cheers
Yes! I think this is doable. I swung by the hardware store yesterday and bought a sheet of pvc.

I'm going to try this workflow. One more question though.. any idea how much pressure might be necessary?

-Thomas