Flexi-disc plates. Anyone have info?

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Self-lather

Flexi-disc plates. Anyone have info?

Thu May 31, 2012 3:46 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know/have any info on how flexi stamps are plated? I've seen some references here on the forum, but nothing conclusive.

Thanks

-Thomas

mossboss

Thu May 31, 2012 8:14 pm

Same like any other stamper man
It is formed to suit the flexi press according to the stamper mounting requirements
In days past for some machines they where left flat than glued on the carrier
at the top of the press
The flexi blanks where pressed with the bottom plate heated and no cooling
one at a time like Hot Foil stamping which is still a way of making them now days
There would be a u tube clip if you want to take a look
Cheers
Chris

Aussie0zborn

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:21 am

The only flexi disc press I saw in operation used a flat stamper held to the die only by the cente bush. A heating element heated the plastic roll as it was fed into the machine. The dies were not heated. The centre pin punched the hole in the sheet.

There are as many methods of doing anything as there are people doing it.

Why do you ask?
Last edited by Aussie0zborn on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Self-lather

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:05 pm

Hey,

Thanks for the info. I was just curious because flexi stampers, at least at Pirates Press, seem to cost way less than traditional stampers. Also, I saw mention in a previous post that someone was silvering flexi stampers using a bowl instead of a sprayer, which sounded cool.

...and the actual reason for my interest is that I'm always assessing how feasible something might me on a DIY level. I've had some success with my diy press, and my presto does a pretty good acetate cut. Now stampers are the missing link in my process.

-Thomas

Self-lather

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:01 pm

mossboss wrote:Same like any other stamper man
It is formed to suit the flexi press according to the stamper mounting requirements
In days past for some machines they where left flat than glued on the carrier
at the top of the press
The flexi blanks where pressed with the bottom plate heated and no cooling
one at a time like Hot Foil stamping which is still a way of making them now days
There would be a u tube clip if you want to take a look
Cheers
I'm interested in how this works. I searched but couldn't find a youtube clip anywhere. So the heat comes from the bottom, and not the top? I would think you'd want to heat the carrier with the stamp.