Shipping vinyl records in this heat - how to avoid warpage

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

basquiattag

Shipping vinyl records in this heat - how to avoid warpage

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:47 pm

Hey all,

I ship a skid of records from the States to Canada every week (on a tightly stretch wrapped pallet with the boxes stacked vertically). I didn't have this problem last summer as it was cooler, but today the worst happened: 2 skids of records arrived that were warped by the heat. What a horror.

The skids travel on a direct drive from California to Toronto, and obviously the container has no windows so there's no exposure to light. I also don't have the option to hire a refer truck as those are outrageously priced for one of these drives (I was quoted $8000 today), as opposed to the couple hundred I usually pay.

I've wracked my brain thinking of anything and everything that could be done to reduce the possibilities of warpage during transit, but I'm really stuck.

When records heat up and become malleable, is it true that they'll only warp if an even amount of pressure isn't applied on top and bottom? Maybe I should stack something on top of the skid too?

Anyone ever face this issue?? Any tips? I really need them!! Thank you....

cymbalism

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:14 am

i used to distribute drum n bass records here in the states and i would always ship packages to stores with enough room in the packages to put cardboard protectors on the top and bottom and some bubble wrap. i've never had an issue with heat and i used to ship to arizona, california, toronto, etc from here in omaha, nebraska. the occasional warp would happen from time to time but that was how i got them and i would always return them and not sell them.

i'm sure it's the fault of the shipper, especially if they were fine when they left your possession. maybe they were too close to something to cause that sort of damage. i'd file a claim with the shipping company and get your loot back or have the customer send back some of the plates so you can check - they may be pulling a fast one on you. it's not uncommon, i got ripped off by a couple stores, one was selling the records i sent them c.o.d. and their check bounced then they closed shop and i never got paid for them. needless to say, the c.o.d. option went bye bye after too many of those.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

Aussie0zborn

Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:26 am

Never heard of this one before. Your skid could have been sitting in the sun at the transport depot for a half a day without you even knowing baout it. Never heard of anyone shipping records in a refrigerated truck either so I dont think you need to go that far.

On our shipping cartons, we had a notice that said "Keep Away From Heat and Sun" and we only had warped records returned twice.

cymbalism

Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:19 am

makes total sense aussie. some newb at the shipper probably left em out to bake in the sun.

i buy and sell a lot of vinyl and one summer i was selling some pieces downtown to a local record store and accidentally forgot a box of records in my trunk for like a week and they were fine even though they were in 90+ degree weather outside because they were out of the direct sunlight.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

mossboss

Wraped Records

Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:17 pm

Ok here is a bit more to add to the worthwhile suggestions so far
If the records where pressed with temperatures a bit out more likely on the lower side , or the two dies where uneven in thickness as little as 15 to 20 thou even at the correct temperature, than the record would have a lot of stress in them due to one ogf these two factors
They will stay flat as the cooling dividers which are a 3mm aluminium plate, used normally during pressing, takes away the remaining heat after the come out of the press
Most likely they will stay flat at least for a while, if in a stable environment at around 20-25 degrees C they will stay flat regardless
However with a fair rise in temperature records that have been done right would stay flat as against stressed ones which will wrap
They will do so as to relase the inherent stress in them
They will wrap for sure there is no doubt about that
Cheers
Chris

basquiattag

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:57 pm

Thanks a lot for the responses everybody, I really appreciate all the input. I'm still quite perplexed about this though, and it's happened to me a couple times over the years.

Mossboss, would you mind clarifying the following sentence? Wasn't sure if I understood:

"However with a fair rise in temperature records that have been done right would stay flat as against stressed ones which will wrap"

In terms of shipping skids of 12"/7"/10"s via trucks, aside from stretch wrap and crush barriers, is there a safer way of shipping these skids to combat temperature (without spending $$$ flying them)? Any tips I can tell the plant or the freight company would be great.

Thank you all!

fraggle

Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:42 pm

sounds like a nightmare to me...

mossboss

wrapping

Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:19 pm

Basque man
The only tip is for you to get the pressing plant sorted out so as to Not make give stressed records mate
If they are pressed stressed they will do it and thats it
There is no tip on this
Cheers
Chris