Local council/governmental notifications needed for for pressing plant in the UK

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

recyclevinyl

Local council/governmental notifications needed for for pressing plant in the UK

Sun May 05, 2024 2:05 am

Hi Everyone, I am currently researching the viability of a small pressing plant in the UK (you can insert all the how deep are your pockets/you will never manage this comments now it takes a lot more than that to put me off), i've been reading this forum for about 15 years and lately spending all my free time reading everything that could even remotely be considered useful, -

Anyway I still have a lot of questions because obviously with the cooling towers there are regulations from local councils, but the only info I have found on here is from an old post by mossboss that can be found here:

https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2123&hilit=toolex

"Tower license and maintenance compulsary in the UK around the £3000 per annum"

I have just checked with my local council https://new.calderdale.gov.uk/business-services/licences/other/cooling-tower-registration and it mentions nothing of a license needed and it is just a simple registration, but I would assume that yearly maintenance is par for the course,

So does anybody have any more up to date figures for costings on the yearly maintenance of water cooling towers even if just approximate?

Also does anyone have any more information on anything else regarding any of the other parts involved in the process that would potentially need to be registered with local council - such as steam boiler/generator? Or is this just done through building regulations compliance via gas safety register and again this would need to be done annually?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Rob

mossboss

Re: Local council/governmental notifications needed for for pressing plant in the UK

Sun May 05, 2024 2:44 am

Sure It is a simple registration, Now consider what you are required to do to it, for it, Control the possibility of Legionnaires Disease, Algae growth, maintaining pH levels as well as corrosion of all the plant downstream, Chemicals etc that's where to cost is, in so far as the boiler is concerned it has to be dosed as well, there are ppl/co's that will provide the service on a monthly basis including getting samples of the cooling water and boiler water tested in an approved lab
Keep in mind that the chemical dosing of the boiler so as to safeguard it from the rather harsh water in the UK has to be compatible with whatever they are to use in the cooling tower, else you can kiss your water reticulation system good buy real fast, take it from first hand experience pal, (They paid for it after a lot of arguing the toss, but disrupted production for a week plus)
Water around NW London as well as around Luton Bedford is not great around Borehamwood is not much chop either,
So boiler feed water around the pH 9+ so salt dossing is almost mandatory while pH 7 for cooling tower water, since condensate will always find its way into the cooling tower, a constant neutralising chemical has to be added to maintain a pH of 7 or close enough in the tower, If you can do better than 3 K quid Id be surprised even though I have not had much to do in the UK for quite a few years
By the way Calcium build up in both also has to be monitored
I would also investigate insurance rates for the boiler another rather difficult road only found in the UK Not in the USA Australia Italy that I am aware o, May be other places have rather stringent requirement for pressure vessels, I can talk about my experience
Best
Chris

recyclevinyl

Re: Local council/governmental notifications needed for for pressing plant in the UK

Mon May 06, 2024 1:36 am

Thank you so much for the detailed reply, you and a couple of others on this board have such a depth of knowledge on this subject and that is invaluable, I am pretty sure I will have more questions soon haha

untitledthe

Sat May 11, 2024 11:15 am

Great info