Pressman

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mossboss

Pressman

Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:43 am

Pressman, Live and learn
I did have a few replies to that request
Interesting how some people view their own ability
One guy applied but in 4 emails he send in the 3 out of the 4 he send besides extolling his virtues telling me that he almost walked on water the next item was a request what does he get paid?
He never rolled up for an interview or ever set eyes on a pressing plant either so he needed more than a year or two training if he was any good in getting to grips with the process
So I asked him what does he expect
So from a cold start never seen a press before in his whole life he wanted $30 K plus to start but he would have preferred $40 K so he can dedicate himself to the task How about That hey ???
The other guy looks like he wanted a free trip to the USA from somewhere in Europe again a cold start he never asked about pay up front which was interesting
Most likely using the job application so he can get in the country and abscond Nice I suggested that unless he had a work permit green card or permission he should forget about it Fine, he did
And another whole host of emails all beginners all wanting to add??? to the industry
Well it seems that there are more vinyl dreamers out there than I ever thought possible
It seems that they are all ready to make sure that the game stays alive despite the amount of dollars they demand or want for they non existent or little input if they get a gig in the industry
It used to be called reward for effort in my days but that is a life time ago Now it seems that if a piece of software does not do it it has to be a real serious task that calls for a huge reward
So if one has to leave the confines of his bedroom where the computer is Than it has to be reward just for turning up to work or before we even get there! Well I want to do it isn't this enough I am here!!!! What? you want me to work as well? Phewwww
Scary really as I can see that with this breed of old pricks like me we can do it but god help the game for the next round
It seems to me that these "Vinyl Lovers" are full of piss and vinegar
Cheers
Chris

fraggle

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:47 am

Mossy
how are ya:)
Just a quick question for you because I reckon I dont quite understand.
so 30000 USD a year how can anyone live with that money?
I mean thats 2500 USD a month before tax.
Just asking mate dont get pissed off ok :)
Cheers

mossboss

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:07 am

How can any one live with that money?
As an 16-21 yo learning a trade or a trainee you can do very well on that kind of money
Learn a trade learn how to press records
Make say 3-5,000 per day with little or no rejects earn really good money
You know reward for effort and results
Walk in cold start wanting to learn expecting a high reward?
Mmmmmm I think Not viable
I don't think that a starter in any trade earns top money from day one on the job Boris
Tell us what you earned when you started your training?
Or better still check it for yourself I would doubt that it was much
If you are asking me what people earn in the USA so as to make a reasonable living Not certain that I can answer that as I am a new boy in the block there but from Wikipedia a very confusing set of data here is something that may help you with your question
Quote from Wikipedia
"The overall median personal income for all individuals over the age of 18 was $24,062"
Here is the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_income_in_the_United_States
Cheers
Chris

fraggle

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:36 am

Ok I didn't think that way. I have no idea what people earn in the States and how much the cost of living is.
You are right you earn fuc.. all as a trainee.
Some of the people might think you don't have to know that much as a pressman. Anyway if your company would be in good old Germany i would have been interested because I am moving very soon.
Also you would have had German steam there:)
Cheers

dietrich10

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:37 am

25k in florida is ok for someone 18-3?/4? without kids etc
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

Nickou

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:16 am

the argument than the guy is learning is not enough to pay so few ...a lot of employers are using this argument to have people working for nearly free, we all know the song ...

in fact , it does not work, because nobody will give it s maximum eating sandwiches ... but at the same time there is a lot of people with out any professional activity , unemployement ... so yes , if you are looking for a job , exept if you are a good financial analyst , you will find a lot of proposition like this one : a little bit is better than nothing , so take it and be happy !!!

opcode66

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:49 am

When I graduated from College in '99 with a degree in computer science my first job as a developer paid only 25K. I moved up the ladder very quickly and more than doubled that in only a few years. But, that is where I started.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

concretecowboy71

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:24 am

Before I bought my lathe, I never made more than 20K a year working in a music club.

If you have a dream or vision, you can make it work.

You drive a shitty car.
You might not live in the best neighborhood.
You eat a lot off the dollar menu at McDonalds.
You don't have cable TV.

I know, I did it.
But it got to this point where at 40 years old. I make a good living doing what I am passionate about.
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

piaptk

Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:55 pm

Just to play the Devil's Advocate (although I understand your point, Chris)

In Washington State, minimum wage is $9.04, which comes out to around $19,000/yr if you are working full time *(most full time jobs pay above minimum wage, though). And, living on $19,000/yr is fine if you are young, single, no family, no school loans, etc and don't mind living in a punk house with three other people. But, if you pay minimum wage, you get a minimum wage worker. Little education, generally mediocre (or worse) work ethic, etc. The kind of people that bounce around from fast food place to fast food place. If you want people with skills and a work ethic, you generally have to pay more. If you don't mind starting with a 19 year old and teaching him the business from the ground up, then that would be very easy to find.

I don't feel like asking for $30,000/year if a worker does have semi-related skills (the more you already have the easier it is to learn new ones) is unreasonable. This is equivalent to $13.50/hr, which is less than most waiters or baristas make and significantly less than a good bartender could make. And it is a more repetitive job with a less flexible schedule. Especially if he has to pack up and move. Most factory jobs in the US pay $20/hr+ (largely because of unions) even for relatively unskilled labor. They teach you how to make a widget and you make that widget over and over again all day long.

I understand that you have to work your way up the ladder, but also, if you want to be picky about the kind of people you get, you have to offer compensation equivalent to what the talented ones can make elsewhere.

I would much prefer to work with records all day than what I am doing now, but I knew very well that I couldn't make (or even expect to deserve) even half the money I make in my current job. Which is why I keep records my hobby.

montalbano

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:51 pm

I am sorry but I have to take Mossy's defence on this.
I make you a very simple example, it happened right today.
One machine started to place the A side label offcenter.
The press operator advised me, OK. Let's look at it.
"Lower pin is fucked" was his explanation.
OK, I stopped the machine. The pin was going back and forth smooth, even if pushed by the hand.
"Is it fucked?"
"Yes Sir, label is placed offcenter"
"I push it and it goes back, is it fucked?"
"Yes Sir"
"OK. Take the lower mould off please."
"But I can't check the pin this way!"
"Just DO IT please"
"OK. Done"
"OK now set the machine to ADJUST mode"
"Done"
"Push the CENTERPINS button"
"Yes, the upper pin goes down!"
"I know, but what about the lower?"
"There is no lower pin, because I have removed the lower mould and pin and bush..."
"OK. In your view do the pins are activated by the Holy Spirit?"
"Hmmmm I am not sure Sir"
"OK. Can you see that there is a little pin there, in the middle of the lower centralising boss? That is the edge of a compressed air cylinder! It is THAT which pushes the lower pin UP"
"Ah. I see"
"OK. Does this little pin go up when you push the centerpins button?"
"A little. Sometimes more, sometimes less."
"OK Now put your hand on the top of the boss. I push the button. I won't hit you don't worry."
"Hey I can feel air blowing!"
"Allelujah. What does it mean?"
"I don't know Sir"

THINKING people not talented or graduated or WTF

This is my view and I'm sure the old man with mustaches will agree
Phil from Phono Press, Milan, Italy
http://www.phonopress.it

mossboss

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Hey Guys this was not mean to be some kind of an all out war on pay rates although it seems that the general concesous is that You pay peanuts you get monkeys
My point was that people want a job they want to get paid the maximum of course while they are getting trained
Spend a few weeks training them and it doe trake lot more than that than off they go as they changed their mind the job is not what they expected and so on so on
Nothing there tells me that I pay somone $ 30 an hour he will do a good job or assurance he will be there in six months
Barista, waiter , sure dont provide service you go hungry and out on your arse as the boss is not making any either thats a no brainer man
So any one who can look after 2 auto machines that can push 1000 per day? the machines can Can the pressman do it?? Phooo
I will pay them 15 cents each for every record that goes in an envelope/bag/jacket
No packing no filling Just keep them going and make no rejects
So 2 k records x 15 cents each = $300 per day a liitle push if you know your shit you can make that $320 per day easy breasy $40 per hour net in your very own pocket and there is plenty of it No need to get a uni degree and no need to put up any capital or deal with clients or suppliers Just make records Lovely stuff he he
Any takers?? Simple??
By the way Any damaged stampers due to neglicence, common occurance,by novices, off your pay Accidents no issue Machine breakdown excluded You break the machine down, they do it!!! you fix it
Rejects maximum 5% any more better know wtf you are doing or we both go hungry
I can do it any one out there? Forget the talk show up show the boss man
Fair enough?????
So all you just pay experts dont need to apply as you dont know how to press records you can blow your horn as hard as you like
Any one who can walk in and do it its all here guys $40 per hour for results Not hard is it? So here we are guys
Cheers
Chris

mossboss

Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:33 pm

Hello all here
Whats going on?
No Takers?
Talk is cheap!!
Hey, Better via email or forum posts as well it is also faceless
Argh I forgot A piece of softawre will do it for you as well
Where is this taking the game
The old farts will be extinct sooner rather than later
Guys??? Some of you ought to come up to the challenge
Cheers
Chris

andybee

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:07 am

LOL! thanks phil for this funny story :D
@ mossy: I hope, there is an experienced guy or lady, to teach
the new one.... hydraulic, pneumatic, steam and waterplasticdrypaperexpert... 8)

jhdave

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:08 am

[quote][/quote]
Last edited by jhdave on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

andybee

Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:36 am

hey, mossy, you are a lucky man, this is the right guy for you!

jhdave

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:00 pm

[/list]

gusgus

Re: Pressman

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:24 am

At the plant I work in I can tell you that there are young people learning this skill of pressing. This is a respected trade and it can't be learned in a class, it needs to be learned hands on- by the right person with the right passions- yeah anyone could run a press- but how good is the product? How much noise is there? Are the labels centered, are there stocks? Blemishes? Are the edges smooth? Is the record flat? Is your color pure? Any one can run a machine- but not just anyone can make a beautiful record, you know when you hold/hear one that you've just made a piece of art on another's art and another's... All of the efforts put in first by the musician, the recording techs, engineers, masterers, cutters, platers, to us the press ops... This is all art, skilled trades not taught in any classroom. It's hard to find the ones with the passion, but we are out here and we are learning.