VR T560 Main Unit Mods

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

PMST

VR T560 Main Unit Mods

Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:50 am

Hi!

I've done several small mods to the main unit (separating power supplies, lead in groove button etc) and these days I only use the main unit to power the motor using my own EQ. I have 3 x VR that i cut on and wondered if anyone knew a quick mod to be able to read digitally the amount of power being sent to the motor? So i can exactly match the 3 lathes pitch.

Thanks!

dubcutter89

Re: VR T560 Main Unit Mods

Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:42 am

Hi PMST!

Hmm, from what I know the VR pitch motor is simply driven by a LM317 voltage regulator without any servo control as found on professional machines.
So if the motors match close enough, and the mechanics don't load them heavily probably the best indicator would be to measure the voltage across the motor leads with a (digital) voltmeter...

BTW, if the motors don't draw a lot of current and are closely matched you might be able to use one controller to feed all 3 motors simultanesly. Maybe add a better heatsink to the LM317.
Or you make something (or buy of the shelf) like a lab power supply with fine control for pitch, and seperate higher voltage for Leadin + Markers...
Or you can add a professional system with servo control and tie the systems together (I did a pro upgrade on a machine of a friend once..).

Hope this helps!
Lukas
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx