Vac noise solutions?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

808fiend

Vac noise solutions?

Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:08 am

Hi everyone

I have a T560 with Souris vacuum pump (low noise option etc)

I am cutting in one small room with the vacuum pump in the same room - it is tolerable but still quite noisey

Today I attempted to house the pump unit in a large wodden box with dampening etc which has helped very slightly BUT i made two holes - one for the inlet and one for the outlet - The outlet pipe is where all the noise is coming from so placing it in a box has not helped the situation as the outlet pipe sticking out of the box still sounds like an airplane takeoff

If i remove the outlet pipe and just let it vent into the box it is good - much quieter BUT i worry that the pump will over heat

Thinking of placing the pump outside of the box and just venting the outlet pipe from the pump into the box - there will be some airflow into the box so should help and the fan will not have any heat issues etc ???

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

farmersplow

Re: Vac noise solutions?

Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:49 pm

I am currently working on a solution for this problem. Unfortunately, I can not yet say whether it will be successful.
The goal is to achieve the desired result through silencers and redirection of sound in conjunction with sound insulation and at the same time prevent overheating. By redirecting the sound several times, a ventilation grille can be used at certain points without letting too much noise leak out.
In addition, my design is also to receive a speed control to reduce the speed after recording the cutting chip. This speed can also be increased again if necessary...
In the attachment I also show a rendering of my construction to better understand what I mean.
(It should be ready before the end of the year).

Farmers Plow 2023_07a.JPG
Farmers Plow 2023_07b.JPG

Greetings from Austria
Thomas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom The Phonocat

Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:14 am

Invest in proper closed-back headphones.. problem solved (for you at least:P) . Im cutting with the pump in the same room. I placed a pump on thick acoustic foam and under the desk.. I placed thick foam around it too and it its all right. From the moment I invested in serious headphones, it didn't bother me at all. I turn off the pump when im not cutting.

Dub Bull

Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:56 pm

The two Ametek/Lamb pump boxes, here, have no exit hole. Air escapes from the seam of the front panel. The box should sit on a foam pad to minimize vibrational hum.
We put the pump in another room, using a vacuum hose extension with smooth inner wall (to minimize the loss of efficiency
that the turbulence of a traditional ribbed inner-wall would cause, as this was suggested by a fellow lathe troll whose last name includes '-Wahl,' btw')

The Ametek pump can take its heat for a cut. Don't leave it running for more than 30 minutes.