Presto feed finger question

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mratx

Presto feed finger question

Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:57 pm

I'm working on an Allied Recording lathe overhead, which is sort of a Presto 6n copy, and I was looking to make a new feed finger. I got to the point where I'd turned and threaded a piece of rod and was getting ready to file the blade end on (it's all one piece on this unit), when someone at the shop suggested I instead cut a slot in the end and use replaceable blades. And I recalled hearing that was how Presto did it (I've never owned one so have never actually seen it.) Would someone be able to upload some pictures showing how the blade is attached on a Presto? The manual says there's a pin but doesn't have a picture. I was thinking a set screw might also be an option.

Thanks,

Mark

rsimms3

Re: Presto feed finger question

Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:42 pm

My overhead is the old Presto model which was the precursor to the 8D. The 8D overhead used replaceable blades to contact the feed screw. Because my overhead had a fixed blade I created a interchangeable system for mine. Luckily, to remove the finger it was a screw that was also part of the lowering mechanism for the carriage head so it was easy to replace. I've included pictures of the original finger and then my modified finger which was created by tracing the original and then shortening it so that I could add a replaceable blade. I tapped the new finger and then screwed a piece of shaped spring steel into place. Click the first picture, for whatever reason no matter what I do the preview is upside down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

apoklis

Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:02 am

I took these pictures and added the spec when i had a someone make me a replacement feed screw blade shaft on a 6n. does this help .
feed blade width.jpg
feed blade lenght.jpg
blade depth.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mratx

Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:34 pm

Thanks for all the pictures! Mine is generally similar to the round style. I've attached a picture of an Allied one, plus the blank I've made so far. I think I will just shorten it and cut a slot for a replaceable blade like the Presto. Does the pin pass through a hole in the blade, or just butt up against it, applying pressure?

Thanks,

Mark

apoklis

Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:43 pm

pin goes through the blade .

piaptk

Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:42 am

If you still have the blade you can cut the slot and just put it back in with the blade pulled out a little more. You can sharpen the contour side that is pushed by the feedscrew with a 1/4” dremel sanding barrel
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com