Rek O Kut Rondine Jr L-34 idler wheel question

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mratx

Rek O Kut Rondine Jr L-34 idler wheel question

Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:27 pm

Does anyone know if the 45 and 33 speed idler wheels on a Rek O Kut L-34 are supposed to be the same size? I acquired a partially working one where the idler wheel at the 33 setting does not make full contact with the motor pulley. Considering the simplicity of the mechanism, it seems either the idler wheel is too small or the motor pulley is. Both of the idlers are 2.5", and look in very good shape. Since they're the same size but just mounted upside down relative to each other, reversing them makes no difference. Pictures of L-34's online appear to show both idlers are the same size or close to it, but because they are not mounted with the same side out it's hard to tell for certain in the ones I've seen. Pulley appears to be correct compared to photos.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Mark

apoklis

Re: Rek O Kut Rondine Jr L-34 idler wheel question

Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:08 pm

There are the same size the capstan decides the rpms . The size doesn't mater on them .they just transfer the speed of the capstan to the outside platter . There are two screws on either side that adjust the travel of the motor, capstan ,mech . If when you slide it to the side and it stops before touching the idlers , loose the screw on that side and readjust where it stops.

mratx

Re: Rek O Kut Rondine Jr L-34 idler wheel question

Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:55 pm

The screws are already adjusted as far as they can go, to the point that the shaft for the speed selector knob hits the edge of its slot before it can even make contact with the screw adjustable stopper on the 33 side. But even so the capstan isn't firmly against the idler, there's still some remaining pivot in the idler assembly to that side. Which is what led me to think that some part was incorrect. I may have to figure out a way to adjust the motor mount slightly, that might do it.