I NEED HELP: Starting Non Profit Independent Recod Creation From Scratch (Pun Intended)

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

LocalFloridianPunk

I NEED HELP: Starting Non Profit Independent Recod Creation From Scratch (Pun Intended)

Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:00 am

Hey all, thank you to everybody for being really welcoming, kind, and profusely knowledgeable even though I know nothing about disc cutting lathes or the creation of records at all. My name is Ryan (@ryxnhoobin on Instagram), I'm 20 and I'm the frontman for a local punk band in Pinellas County, Florida, and I'm going to create records for my own band and the local scene as well. Bands/artists will only have to cover the cost of materials/per record. Please treat this like an open letter to a beginner: I'M HERE TO LEARN! All advice and support would be greatly appreciated.

THINGS I'M CURRENTLY DOING:
- Saving up for a Presto K8 lathe ($3.5k Refurbished)
- Purchased 7in and 12in vinyl blanks (10 QTY each)
- Made a shopping list (Consisting of various products for use during record creation such as ronson oil, microfiber rags, turtlewax, a record clamp, 3 in 1 oil, ACL staticide anti-static mat & table top cleaner, and a generic foaming glass & surface cleanser.)
-Watching YouTube videos on the Presto K8 and researching it

MONEY I'VE COMMITTED IN SO FAR (as of 4/27/23):
- Roughly $100 (Less than $5 per vinyl blank)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

boryo

Re: I NEED HELP: Starting Non Profit Independent Recod Creation From Scratch (Pun Intended)

Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:33 am

Welcome!

My advice is don't do it as non-profit thingy! Of course, you don't have to charge yourself or your band for band for the records but other clients must be unless you don't value your time. I don't know how long 12" records your Presto can cut but let's say its 15 mins per side, so you have 30 minutes sides. 10 records = 5 hours constant cutting. You also have some time for preparing the blanks - heating, fixing edges, etc. The machine consumes electricity. You also need food and water. Sometimes things go wrong at the very end of the record and you have to start again. These and many more things you have to consider when you want to do it for free. If I was you I would buy 100 12" blanks, cut cut cut, develop some skills and then charge something, even thought it may be cheaper at the beginning, but once people learn you do stuff for free, they will always want it for free. Good luck!

Bestm
Bob

piaptk

Re: I NEED HELP: Starting Non Profit Independent Recod Creation From Scratch (Pun Intended)

Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:59 pm

I second Bob's advice. You can do it cheap if you want, but at least pay yrself Burger King wages.

For something like this, look around for local or state arts grants. I've been selling lathes to a fair number of people lately that have managed to get $10K in free money to buy a lathe if they submit a proposal for some kind of arts program.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

p1cturelamp

Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:04 pm

The advice above is all very solid. Good luck to you and your label company! There seems to be a shortage of punk record labels nowadays so the fusion between that and home record cutting is a dream come true!