flutter question / external motor to pitch

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Tape27

flutter question / external motor to pitch

Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:52 am

hey trolls,
already read a lot but still have some questions about the precision platter and motor.

the summary from what I read is that the best would be to work with a sp 10 to have the lowest wow and flutter - with the precision platter and motor you can only come close to 0.02 flutter - with a regular 1210 my readings are round about 0.04 ... although I can measure it, I only hear some flutter when there are really long pads, strings etc...

what do you guys think? Is it worth the upgrade?

also as Suedenim told me in an other thread it is possible to adjust the external motor to be in sync with the pitch of the technics - i want to know how precise the procedure is ? I want the technics still to turn at -8 and +8

appreciate all the insights you can give

best regards

tragwag

Re: flutter question / external motor to pitch

Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:57 pm

I don't have any experience with the external motor, but I have Technics SP15 and SP10 and would suggest both of those highly
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

PMST

Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:59 am

I had the external motor, but now use SP10 MKIIs and highly recommend the upgrade, in my opinion it is well worth it

PMST

Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:08 am

With the motor, if you want to tweak the 1210 pitch you will need to adjust the fine tuning screws on the external motor to keep it in sync