A mystery

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

jonoaustin

A mystery

Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:45 am

Maybe someone can shed some light on this. Single lacquer sent to a pressing plant. Arrived in perfect condition. It was silvered, didn't pass QC - lots bad stuff showed up. Desilvered, lacquer then looked fine. Resilvered, still nasty. Then desilvered again - and again it looked fine. Pics here of the lacquer were taken after desilvering.... I thought maybe it was outgassing (which I've never actually encountered), but others in the know say it wasn't. Can anyone tell me what this could be?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jon Niess
Austin Signal
https://www.austinsignal.com/retro

trailerparkjesus

Re: A mystery

Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:30 pm

I had this issue on a couple lacquers, I believe it was because the box was new and I didn't air it out long enough so the lacquers were "wet". Although, it could have just been bad lacquers.