Microscope

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

msartori

Microscope

Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:35 pm

Hi, can you suggest a microscope to check the stylus?
Which one do you use? The ones I've tried don't zoom in enough.
Thank you

alesfer

Re: Microscope

Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:14 am

What microscope do you have? What can't you see?

msartori

Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:51 pm

This one... but I need more zoom to see if the tip is broken. For the groove it's ok.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alesfer

Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:01 am

If you see the deep grooves well you should be able to see if the tip is broken. Also when the tip is broken you can hear it.

msartori

Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:05 pm

yes, I Know, but
My question is:
What Type of microscope do you use to check the diamond tip?
Can someone help me please?
that one I post, its not good.

boogievan

Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:15 am

The stylus inspection microscope I use is all analog - is a stereo microscope - and the eyepieces show a reticle over the
view which allows one to count in tenths of a millimeter. It's useful because it allows the protrusion of the stylus
tip to be measured in order to confirm proper seating... The correct stylus protrusion minimizes cross-talk in the groove modulation.
The eyepieces are 10x, each, and the objective is 2x... So, 20x, combined magnification (eyepiece x obj. = Tmag).
20x ain't enough to scan the groove (which is better seen at 75x and 150x), but it's magnified enough to see the general shape of the sillhouette of the stylus. I've been able to see a jagged edge when the stylus has partially broken. I can't see the burnishing facets, but, as alesfer wrote, you can hear stylus issues and, with the stronger magnification used for groove-viewing, you can see if the groove looks right or not and begin trouble-shooting.

A simple workaround is to replace the stylus with a new one and see if the problem goes away. If you kept the heater wire long
enough on both ends to be able to reattach them to the electrodes on the cutting head again, you could always put the old stylus back
in, in case the new one didn't cut any better, innit?

- boogie

msartori

Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:00 pm

thank you