Magnet in Webster cutterhead

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

sameal

Magnet in Webster cutterhead

Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:14 am

Hello!

Has anybody played with changing the magnet or any other mod to the Webster cutterhead? What magnet is in there to begin with?

I'm toying with idea of modifying it, cause let's face it, I got nothing to really loose.

socialroots

Re: Magnet in Webster cutterhead

Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:17 am

I'm sure that Webster can be modified to get better n louder cuts,never done any but have heard about Jesus Agnew in Greece doing some great upgrades on some Audax,Presto,Neumann mono heads that seem to perform miraculously after changing out old magnets,machining armature out of better material,better dampening materials,better coils etc... so yes,it can be much improved,but it won't be original anymore,but a new mono head encased with a Webster head cover,which would be pretty cool regardless.
Sameal ,what became of that beautiful variable pitch lathe you were restoring some years back?
maximum respect,
Patrick

sameal

Re: Magnet in Webster cutterhead

Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:08 pm

Well. It's a Webster, so I'm not too worried about originality. I found an alnico magnet that will fit with minimal cutting. I might try it out.

I kinda stopped doing anything music related for a year or so. I'm trying to get myself back into it, and that presto is on the list. I'm currently waiting out a iriaa filter and the l.p.i. motor needs to be moved up to the crank, instead of down under the table. There's little hooks that grip the lpi gear assembly that keep disengaging, so moving the motor to the crank handle will remove the hooks from the equation. I gotta cut a plate for it and probably get different gears. That's the big ticket so I can do cuts. After that there's some small items.