Right channel cutting funny/fuzzy randomly

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

I.S.D

Right channel cutting funny/fuzzy randomly

Tue May 31, 2022 10:15 am

I’m having an issue with the right groove wall (outer) and it’s becoming fuzzy and grainy at times, it’s almost like it drifts in and out or comes and goes, I’ve replaced a bunch of styli (NSH-2S) and I’m getting no consistent results, increase/decrease heat doesn’t make much difference, unless I really increase heat to 0.55/0.6, but then I’m seeing other issues and I’m having doubts it needs to increase that much all of a sudden. Usually sits around 0.45 for a clean cut with low noise…. I’m experimenting with hose placement because maybe its losing suction, but that seems to have little affect.

It appears if amps are in OPER or Over Load with an unmod groove.

It is not audible in any test cuts but I’m worried about how it would plate…

I’ve checked the contacts in the suspension box and all the switches appear to be firing correctly when dropped…

Temp/humidity is sitting at 20c/50%

Having this issue on the last few batches of lacquers E22011 and F52021

Any ideas? Something I’ve missed? Am I crazy?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jjgolden

Re: Right channel cutting funny/fuzzy randomly

Tue May 31, 2022 4:11 pm

Could be related to suction / how the chip is being picked up?

Maybe move the suction tube farther or closer to the stylus and see if it helps?

2 cents : )

I.S.D

Re: Right channel cutting funny/fuzzy randomly

Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:36 am

This may have been from green or wet lacquers… I stacked a couple boxes of lacquers on open spindles and let them air out for a few days and the problem has gone away…. For now…. lol