Desk Vibration Dampening

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

tragwag

Desk Vibration Dampening

Tue May 10, 2022 10:39 am

Hey trolls! I just moved into a new studio space, I’m renting an office in an old mill building. The subfloor is sturdy but the click in flooring on top is a little spongy in places. I’m wondering if anyone has any great solutions for vibration dampening my desk. keep in mind I am renting so it will have to be removable. I was thinking something along the lines of bricks/concrete paving stones underneath, or a method similar to floors in some studios where they fill a wood frame with sand. I don’t want to make the desk that much taller it’s at the perfect height currently. Thanks!
pics of the setup and the desk feet
9F4E18F3-0E06-440B-B839-775216F57091.jpeg
42410E3C-BAAE-47AE-9CB2-0479BAE0404F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

misjah

Re: Desk Vibration Dampening

Tue May 10, 2022 10:57 am

You can add sturdy rubber feet under it but if the (sub) floor is wood it won’t help enough. Best would be to separate where you walk/stand and where desk is….Dont wear high heels when cutting i guess :D

trailerparkjesus

Tue May 10, 2022 5:42 pm

We work on a second floor in a 1940s warehouse and it has been a challenge but we've conquered it (knock on wood).

Get some air feet, Bilz is one brand, Just got some more from Clint. They help with the vibration issues from walking on second story floors.
https://bilz-usa.com/category/products/rubber-air-springs-faebi/

We also decoupled the t560s by mounting them to the wall, floating the desk with big brackets. It works great... until a big dump truck does by or huge construction equipment. But that's not all the time.

Another suggestion: add mass. We added a marble slab to the base of the Neumann and we added some concrete pavers under 2 of the t560s.

farmersplow

Wed May 11, 2022 3:53 pm

Do you also have an idea how to keep my dog barking away from the cutting needle? (Without killing or banishing him). It vibrates the whole table and the room.
I am currently feeding him while a recording is in progress - but the dog is already getting very fat. :D

Greetings from Austria
Thomas

dmills

Fri May 13, 2022 8:14 am

The old school approach when setting up playback decks on rather 'mobile' surfaces in raves might work well here.

What you do is use 3 or 4 sorbothane hemispheres (Squash balls cut in half) under a paving slab with the deck placed on the slab.
Your basic mass/spring/damper sort of thing really.

The key is that the mass is on the isolated side.

gold

Wed May 25, 2022 4:26 pm

I made an inertia base from 80/20 t-slot framing with spring isolators from Mason Industries.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.