Sound Scriber

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

OLDLEE

Sound Scriber

Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:14 pm

Has anyone determined what was the material used in Sound Scriber disks?
I am thinking Lexan (easily embossed) might be a substitute....

tape

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:49 am

the precise mixture of materials can be read in some of the soundscriber patent applications - find them at freepatents.org
As I remember, resin is a main ingredient.

I have myself experiemented with a lot of different plastics - It seems that what works best is plastic that is soft, but somehow rigid as well.
You will have to eperiment a bit.

alienmanstk

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:14 pm

Hey Tape , you mentioned:
"I have myself experiemented with a lot of different plastics - It seems that what works best is plastic that is soft, but somehow rigid as well. "

any examples of what plastics you have used, that reveal good results???
Thanks Tape!

tape

Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:43 am

I can't point you to a specific type of plastic.

First you could try to find some of the original discs, they have very little surface noise. Secondly you could try a papershop that sells differnt types of plastic and buy fx 10 different types.

It has to be quite thick and rigid, 'floppy' plastic tends to produce very much surface noise.

Be creative! try to cut out plastic from covers, lids etc. and make test cuts.

do a google search on 'amishfan' 'soundscriber experiments'
heres is a description, mostly on what does NOT work.

good luck

alienmanstk

Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:00 am

hey tape! that's a great website, I have already started experimenting!!! Just one more question: Will this dull down your cutting needle? I know that the needles on the soundscriber is quite hard to dull down, but what about a recordio needle?? Will that become dull by using one of these plastics??? Thanks so so so much for your help!

tape

Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:13 pm

I don't know how long a soundscriber needle will last - propably almost forever - it does not cut, it embosses grooves.

If I were you, I would not attempt to cut anything else than lacquer discs with a recordio - the needle will last one, maybe two records, depending on the material you are cutting in, and the needle (saphire, steel etc.)

Maybe if you heat the needle while cutting the needle will last longer, but I can't reccomend it.

alienmanstk

Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:35 pm

thanks tape! I would have tried it on the recordio if you hadn't stopped me. When using laquer disks on the recordio, how long does the cutting needle last??Thanks again!

tape

Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:28 am

you will have to first slow down a bit:-)

and read what I wrote again - the life of the stylus depends on:

- the type of needle
- type of recording media
- your abillty to set up your cutter correctly.

steel needles will last very short time, saphire longer.

Search the posts in here, there are probably answers to a lot of your questions..

OLDLEE

Soundscriber disks

Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:50 pm

Thanks , Tape ....you're very helpful.
For those others who ask about needles, it's true that barring disasters, the recording needle tends to last forever...my machine is very old yet the needle, under a microscope, seems as good as ever. And as you mention, one does NOT want a chisel point, but rather a rounded point, somewhat like an old steel phono needle.

OLDLEE

Soundscriber disk material

Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:43 am

More on this: one relevant patent says the disks are of "Vinylite", a co-polymer of vinyl chloride and vinyl acetate. Thanks to Tape for pointing me in this direction.

Tron

speakng on embossing discs...

Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:18 pm

do those embossed cut records play on a normal turntable?
[Q/::][Q/::]

OLDLEE

PLaying Soundscriber on normal turntable

Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:28 pm

Re your question on playback of Soundscriber disks on a normal turntable, this can be done but the sound level is quite low with poor frequency response. Probably has something to do with the needle point profile.

tape

Soundscriber center hole

Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:17 pm

I am trying to make my own blanks to use with a soundscriber machine. It's very easy as the machine will emboss most kinds of plastic. However the center hole is square and 'larger' than a normal centerhole in the sense that it is a 'squared' circle. This means that discs with a normal center hole can not be used without destroying the hole.

Any ideas on how make a square hole?
I have tried with a knife and various other tools, impossible to get a wel defined proper looking hole.

thanks in advance

emorritt

Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:18 pm

I would try using the clear plastic "divider" sheets sold for binders. Not the colored textured ones, but the ones with smooth surfaces. The plastic would be very close to the original disks. It's about the same as X-Ray film, but without the emulsion. An exacto knife would be used to make the square hole.

tape

Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:39 pm

thank you for the x acto knife sugestion - I will try it and post back for any that could be interested. I guess an orginal disc is good for a template.

Would be nice to have a punching tool though, I imagine that it will take some time using the knife..

emorritt

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:37 pm

http://www.paperpunchesstore.com/41_4_Inch_Reach_Template_Punch_125_12929.html

They say rectangular dies are available for this punch, maybe you could get a custom square for it.

tape

Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:51 am

very good suggestion emorrit!
however it's very difficult to see how the instrument works, and 'how long in' a disc could go.
I will try to investigate