Recent Test Embossing Polycarbonate Blanks Sounds Good To Me!

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

timinbovey

Recent Test Embossing Polycarbonate Blanks Sounds Good To Me!

Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:38 am

With the loss of a source of lacquer blanks I've been working on getting my Rek-O-Kut re-jiggered to emboss polycarbonate blanks.

I'm using the embossing stylus and blanks from https://www.recordlatheparts.com

When i first started I discovered I was embossing FAR to deep with WAY too much downforce (somewhere around 150 grams).

Then I noticed the note that came with the stylus suggested somewhere about 35 grams. BIG difference. Surface noise mostly gone,
catching the right groove for playback is a non-issue, and it sounds pretty good. OH, this is not a white blank -- I hadn't peeled the
protective covering from the flip side yet.

The setup for this is simply audio out of the computer into the "radio" input of the ROK amp. I'm using a Check Berry song for testing
simply because I know it so well after listening to it for 60 years. To get these at 45 I'm stepping up the speed to 78 in the Audacity
software (you can choose to change speed from 45 - 78, which of course works out to 45 when played back). I did nothing for
eq except knock down the bass a bit and bump up the treble a bit on ROK amp. I think it sounds mighty darn good. The audio in the video
is right off the standard preamp from the turntable, no eq on playback beyond the built in RIAA in the preamp. Just tossing it out there for any comments, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfB18tXMCk0

Tim in Bovey

markrob

Re: Recent Test Embossing Polycarbonate Blanks Sounds Good To Me!

Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:42 am

Hey Tim,

Sounds great! I'm in the same boat as you. Decent quality for my purposes at low cost and easy availability of cutting material.

markrob

Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:42 am

Hey Tim,

Sounds great! I'm in the same boat as you. Decent quality for my purposes at low cost and easy availability of cutting material.

grooveguy

Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:33 pm

Remarkably good, in my opinion. Seems to track well (no skipping) even though the groove is probably pretty shallow. Good work; keep us updated for sure!

Semar

Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:31 am

Very nice job 👍