Can't see much through VMS80 microscope. Any ideas?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

pizzahotline

Can't see much through VMS80 microscope. Any ideas?

Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:49 am

I'm using a microscope on a Neumann VMS 80 and can see grooves through it to an extent but they aren't very detailed and I can't measure them using the reticle. The reticle is black and when over layed with a dark lacquer it's impossible to measure anything, surely this wasn't Neumann's intention when they designed it? I've used a VMS66 microscope which was much clearer, I could measure the grooves with the reticle and see the fine details of each groove. Is there something wrong with the microscope that I'm using perhaps? Does the bulb need changing or upgrading? It's also worth mentioning that the microscope camera doesn't work and I don't have a screen attached.

I've attatched

Thanks in advance for any help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

flozki

Re: Can't see much through VMS80 microscope. Any ideas?

Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:55 am

a proper service might be good for your lathe. better sooner than later.
i guess the microscope darkening is a detail .
those 80ies reached end of life. so expect much more stuff to come than
fading images...
if in europe (and not in england) you can pm or better mail me.
happy cutting.
f.

pizzahotline

Re: Can't see much through VMS80 microscope. Any ideas?

Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:22 am

Thanks for the reply. The lathe has been looked after and been maintained. I've looked into the microscope issue and found that the camera has a bulb inside it that's broken, I think if I fix it then I might get a clearer picture.