k8 worm gear

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

maximoscortes2

k8 worm gear

Wed May 12, 2021 10:56 pm

hi again trolls

I hope everyone is well, .... this post is at the rate of a piece in the presto k8 lathe, the worm gear.

Apparently it is a very delicate piece, and by not calibrating the rotary bolt that gives distance to the gear well, it dies, the threads break and the arm no longer moves, therefore, there is no spiral.

When I realized it, I tried to move and calibrate the system, but the threads were so broken that I had to go to a master turner to make the piece again, this piece was made of PVC, which, I imagine from my little experience, also died after a time,

In order not to spend more money on the turner, I made my own piece, made of wood in the CNC, these worked but generated a lot of noise, so later I made a piece of acrylic myself, with which I am working now, but there is still a little noise coming from this part, the worm gear.

does anyone have any experience with this problem?,

I leave photos of the evolution of the worm gears.

that they are very well!

español:

espero q todos se encuentren bien, .... este post es a razon de una pieza en el torno presto k8, el engranaje de gusano.

al parecer es una pieza muy delicada, y al no calibrar bien el perno rotativo q da distancia al engranaje, este muere, se rompen los hilos y ya no se mueve el brazo, por lo tanto, no hay espiral.

al darme cuenta intenta mover y calibrar el sistema, pero los hilos estaban tan rotos que tuve que ir donde un maestro tornero para que fabricara nuevamente la pieza, esta pieza fue de pvc, la cual, imagino por mi poca experiencia, tambien murio despues de un tiempo,

para no gastar mas dinero en el tornero, hize mi propia pieza, de madera en la CNC, estas funcionaban pero generaban mucho ruido, asi que despues fabrique yo mismo una pieza de acrilico, con la cual estoy funcionando ahora, pero aun hay un poco de ruido proveniente de esta pieza, el engranaje de gusano.

alguien tiene alguna experiencia con este problema ?,

dejo fotos de la evolucion de los engranajes de gusano.

q esten muy bien !

maximoscortes2

Re: k8 worm gear

Wed May 12, 2021 10:57 pm

first: original
2d: pvc
3r and 4r: wood
last: acrilyc
185491864_255238452954733_8450268767397001250_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jesus H Chrysler

Mon May 17, 2021 12:56 am

Great work!. I haven't had any problems with my gears wearing or breaking on my k10 and I have the original gears. I would think there's something wrong with your gear allignment to cause that

piaptk

Mon May 17, 2021 1:08 am

That is interesting, especially if you can get one that works well and has a finer pitch than the original.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

maximoscortes2

Wed May 19, 2021 3:25 am

yes, can customize the pitch

now can put to 10 minuts in 7'' 33 rpm for side, wow!

the acrilic is the best, but noisy, need some teflon tape and oil and be better

the gcode for this is online in: https://sct-usa.com/thread-mill-code-generator/

i'm happy