VR with Technics SP10 MkII : Max Weight stylus

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Dub Studio

Re: VR with Technics SP10 MkII : Max Weight stylus

Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:30 am

Discomo wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:30 am
It’s the angle of the photo which makes it look not parallel. It’s maybe 5% off but a little off doesn’t matter that much. With many parameters in play- weight stylus, counterweight, angle it’s just a matter of fiddling around. Your VR is different from others so the setting is unique as well- within reasonable limits
I have to agree with dubplate cutter, its looks like the stylus is almost vertical to the platter, and I am not sure how the angle of the photo would change how that looks.

The reason I mention this is that the styus weight and angle are connected. A stylus at the angle shown in your photo will need more weight than if it were set up correctly. It should not be necessary to cut with anything like 22grams. I routinely cut with about 12.5g and that gives me cuts that are about 50 microns wide (25 microns deep). I would never risk cutting with more than 20g, because the chances of breaking the stylus would be much higher.

Just to clarify, the base of the cutting head should be parallel to the platter, and the top of stylus should be tilted towards you by about 10 to 15 degrees.