How to clean old lacquer masters

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

thelace43

How to clean old lacquer masters

Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:42 pm

Hi there,

I found an old master at the local goodwill. It seems to have a bit of mildew, and I was wondering how best to clean it. Thanks!

Soulbear

Re: How to clean old lacquer masters

Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:58 pm

Hi There thelace43
The Forum Search Function is your friend, Take a look here
.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8777&p=55881&hilit=Cleaning+old+Laquers#p55881
Regards Soulbear :P :) :D

emorritt

Re: How to clean old lacquer masters

Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:04 am

It's most likely not mildew; it's palmitic acid leaching from the lacquer coating. This happens after a number of years. The best way to clean this off is to use household ammonia. Dampen a soft terry cloth (not microfiber) towel or washrag with it and apply to the disc in a circular motion. Allow it to sit for a minute or two, then dry it off with a dry towel. Rinse lightly by the same method with plain water and dry. Let the disc completely dry before playing it.

You can also use Windex, which contains ammonia; this was first suggested to me by an archivist years ago, but I've had longer lasting results with plain household ammonia.