Ionizer / Ionizing air blower for cutting plastic

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

12bitcuts

Ionizer / Ionizing air blower for cutting plastic

Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:34 pm

Hello fellow trolls,

I am a cutting newbie, still building out my lab.
I was thinking about adding an air ionizer to my desk, just above my Atom recorder, to help with static.
Would one of these be suitable?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aerostat-PC-Ionizing-Air-Blower-Fan-Ion-Anti-Static-110V-220V-ax/283548890240

I know folks commonly use an air cleaner (Honeywell, etc), since I already have one (without ionizer) I thought one of these might be handy just for cutting.
I'd want to prep blanks under the ionizer and maybe run it during the cutting process, mounted about 12" above the Atom platter.
Good idea?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

12bitcuts

Re: Ionizer / Ionizing air blower for cutting plastic

Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:36 pm

Mods, you can move this to the newbie forum (I should have posted there).

tragwag

Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:57 pm

I use a negative ion generator and it does work, but not very powerfully. I have to use it in conjunction with anti-static spray, and put it right up to the disc to have any results
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Discomo

Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:37 am

Bonjour 12bitcuts!

Good question

Have you tried just a humidifier to raise the humidity in your room? This may help as well. I recently had 33 degrees hmidity and severe static problems. Currently have my room back at 54% by just boiling some wAter in my electric watercooker :) This helps tremendously. Have spread at least 1,5 liter in 15 minutes or so. Gone static and hello happy cutting. Now looking for a himidifier which can do the job as well. Also, some humidifiers have an internal ionizer.

Ps: you still need to give yr disk a quick wipe with anti static spray as well with this

aaron

Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:59 am

I’ve been using Staticide and rarely have problems with static any more.

tragwag

Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:00 am

Discomo wrote:
Have you tried just a humidifier to raise the humidity in your room? This may help as well. I recently had 33 degrees hmidity and severe static problems. Currently have my room back at 54% by just boiling some wAter in my electric watercooker :)
let me echo this as well, to get good chip pickup (here in FL, USA) I have to have at least 40% humidity or chip drops immediately.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Discomo

Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:35 am

tragwag wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:00 am
Discomo wrote:
Have you tried just a humidifier to raise the humidity in your room? T
let me echo this as well, to get good chip pickup (here in FL, USA) I have to have at least 40% humidity or chip drops immediately.
Still not sure how it works precisely... When I raise the humidity too much the material also sticks to the blank... Not sure if this is because of statics or because of (possible?) condense.

I keep my cuttingroom rather cold atm (17-17,5 degrees c) with humidity around 60%.
If the roomtemp raises too high I need to add too much water in the air through my (new) humidifier. With before mentioned problems. So not exactly a perfect situation, but it seems to work. Only typical I’ve never had this issue before, last two winters.

Discomo

Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:41 am

Just as a side thing- happy with my new pump :)
https://www.ebay.nl/itm/143812373492?ul_noapp=true
(THOMAS Gardner Denver PICOLINO VTE 8, this was previously Riedschle VTE-8 )

nikc

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:23 am

Hello!
Are we trying to eliminate positive or negative charge. Or could it be either. I noticed that with the Aerostat you can choose either positive or negative output

Regards
Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

nikc

Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:31 am

Yes to go on a bit more. I got the impression that most air purifiers give out negative ions. The main purpose is for health reasons. But if you wanted to eliminate negative charge you would need positive ions. Am I right? I noticed that the Electro static fans, that are designed to eliminate static give out a balanced mix of both negative and positive ions. Which sounds good. (without knowing the science behind this).

Anyways I have had good results by increasing the humidity. ( that I got from reading lathe trolls). It's was around 39%. And when it got hot after a few cuts the swarf stuck to the vinyl. It might be my imagination but I could sense in the air that it was going to stick.

I tried having a bucket of water next to the radiator but that didnt increase the reading. But then I turned on the hot shower next door for a bit and it went up to 45%. After then the swarf went up the tube all the time (well it got stuck once).

I am not going to turn on the shower every time I cut but have bought a humidifier from amazon

Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records