VR: are the meter adjustments passive?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

tragwag

VR: are the meter adjustments passive?

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:44 am

hey friends, I had to buy a replacement LED volume meter for my second VR and I'm having trouble getting it to sit perfectly level wise,
are the trim adjustments on the front just for the meter? or do these sorts of meters have any gain available?
I can't find documentation anywhere.

here's the replacement I picked up in case anyone needs one, the decay is much faster than the original
https://www.markertek.com/product/aa-dbdisplaymkii/amdj-american-audio-db-display-mkii-19-inch-metal-rack-mountable-led-db-level-display

thanks!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

tragwag

Re: VR: are the meter adjustments passive?

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:45 am

Soulbear

Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:35 am

tragwag wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:45 am
here's the original one souri supplies
https://www.img-stageline.com/products/audio-tools/signal-processing/vu-800-sw/
The Stageline trimers are just for the sensitivity of the LEDs on the VU Meter depending on the Line levels IE Domestic vs Studio Line Levels.
Stageline VU-1.jpg
The Audio/LEDs are Buffered, so sensitivity adjustment should have no impact on Audio Quality, dunno if American Audio has the same "Internals"?? Guessing they both came out of the same factory in China at some time!!
Regards Soulbear :P :) :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tragwag

Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:25 pm

awesome, thanks for confirming!
been a bit finicky so I wanted to be sure the meter had nothing to do with it

Vinylfan

Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:56 am

After a very long break - during which I may have forgotten almost everything about the VR - I would now like to start cutting again. While looking for an answer to my question about the VU meter from IMG Stageline, I came across this discussion.

When I connect the headphones to the output of the VU meter, the LEDs show somet 20 dB (depending of the headphones) less level than when nothing is connected to the output.
Is thisnormal? The VU Meter should display the energy on the input side and not the consumption at the output. Many thanks for your support with my beginner's question

tragwag

Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:58 pm

Vinylfan wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:56 am
After a very long break - during which I may have forgotten almost everything about the VR - I would now like to start cutting again. While looking for an answer to my question about the VU meter from IMG Stageline, I came across this discussion.

When I connect the headphones to the output of the VU meter, the LEDs show somet 20 dB (depending of the headphones) less level than when nothing is connected to the output.
Is thisnormal? The VU Meter should display the energy on the input side and not the consumption at the output. Many thanks for your support with my beginner's question
that's strange. what's the rest of your signal chain like?

Sylvere

Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:04 pm

hello,
got this one for my vr: https://www.thomann.de/fr/fredenstein_u70f.htm
really nice and accurate tool ! for sure better stuff than sw800.
When I connect the headphones to the output of the VU meter,
@Vinylfan:
sorry I miss understand: are u trying to plug directly your headphone from the output of the sw800 ? :shock:

Vinylfan

Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:35 pm

Thank you
@ tragwag:
the signal chain is standard VR setup without optimizer (at least I thought it is): source -> mixer -> main unit -> amp -> cutter head and a parallel stream source -> mixer - monitor switcher - VU meter -> headphones
@ Sylvere: yes, headphone is connected direct to the audio out of the vu-800-sw with a RCA chinch to 6.3 jack cable. Maybe I should use a headphone preamp?

tragwag

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:38 pm

yeah hrm! I haven't connected anything to the output of the meter except RCA cables that go to the cutting amp.
you could just have a bad adapter? or something screwy with the monitor switcher?

to figure out if the meter is working correctly, take it out of the signal chain.
send a 1 khz tone directly to it from the source, then plug and unplug output cables or headphones to see what happens?

for what it's worth, a lot of folks (myself included) have done away with the Mixer and various parallel signal paths.
There's a lot of unbalanced connections going on there, you would have a cleaner signal path and lower noise with more direct connections.

I do this:
audio interface -> meter ->amp->cutterhead

with balanced connections (XLR or 1/4 TRS) where possible

Sylvere

Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:51 pm

example of wiring: here my synoptic for my vr cutting system 2024 !
hope it could help u.
syl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vinylfan

Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:31 am

tragwag wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:38 pm
to figure out if the meter is working correctly, take it out of the signal chain.
send a 1 khz tone directly to it from the source, then plug and unplug output cables or headphones to see what happens?

for what it's worth, a lot of folks (myself included) have done away with the Mixer and various parallel signal paths.
This is my issue: The display shows very different values depending on whether a headphone or something else is connected to the output.
In fact I discovered this VU meter issue when I was trying to set up the signal path without the mixer.
I will now try it with a different VU meter.

@ Sylvere: Thanks for sharing your setup. Looks very professional. This is inspiring even if my setup will l probably be much simpler.

Sylvere

Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:32 pm

probably the output section inside the sw800 should be in Parrallel mode with the input,
so if u plug your headphone directly in the output, the impedance doesn't match.
Try to plug another Vu meter (even on ur computer) in parallel.
Becarefull, set correctly the input on ur computer from +4dbu to -10dbV to be sure to read correctly !