Vinyl Recorder T560 Overhead Motor

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

soeffingodly

Re: Vinyl Recorder T560 Overhead Motor

Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:35 am

handcut wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:15 am
soeffingodly wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:15 pm
Wanted to revisit and see if everything worked out for you in the end?
Still waiting on parts to be made. Pandemic has turned this into a bit of a saga, plus I thought that I'd make a couple of improvements to the design whilst it's dismantled. A properly mounted motor, replacing the gaffer tape/silicone mess and easier access for maintenance rather than blindly spraying oil into a tube...
Thank you for the update!

Best,

-S
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

ObiKutnobi

Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:31 am

Hi Handcut,

Hope things are moving forward for you. It’s a fantastic idea to create a service manual. This thread alone has taught so much including small things like don’t screw the nut too tight on the black wheel because it can bend the shaft. I am always paranoid of the motor disengaging so screw super tight so as not to get the dreaded bouncing head but I think I must evaluate to a more moderate tightness.

Could I ask, what sort of price is the replacement motor? Doesn’t have to be exact ball park is fine 😊 wondering if it’s an astute idea to have one as back up regardless due to lead times etc.

Thanks 🙏

handcut

Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:29 am

Still waiting. 5 months to the day this has been dragging on for... As soon as it's repaired, I'm selling it. I still intend to share as much info as possible with the community before I do, but don't have the time at the moment.

Anyway, it might be worth using a double nut technique, where the supplied nut is nipped just enough to engage the feedscrew and another nut sits against that to stop it loosening and killing a stylus or ruining a cut. The time I've spent crawling around on the studio floor looking for that thing...

The motor was £200 direct from the manufacturer.

The red flags were 'twinning' grooves at high LPI (uneven distribution) and unexplained variations in groove depth, before the motor seized entirely. I know I said originally that the rest of the mech was fine, but it wasn't - the bearing housing that connects the feedscrew to the motor output shaft was not drilled true, so had an eccentric rotation.

Ben

Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:56 am

Thanks Handcut,
I know the feeling, I almost sold mine when I was into deep.
Thank you for sharing your infos, I know how frustrating it is.
Especially when you open it and you see all the problems.

But to have all the specifics in a doc would def be a great tool, especially for people who just bought it and still have all their hair haha!!

Ben

handcut

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:42 am

Parts are incoming!!! :D :D :D

At last, the nightmare is almost over. I will document reassembly... In a bizzare twist of fate, I actually have a second VR on it's way to me in order to help with the backlog, but once that's out of the way, it's gone. Strictly Presto from now on! Anybody looking to part with an 8DG???

Ben

Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:25 am

Good Stuff !!!
Keep us in the loop, hope all goes well !!

HannesFTL

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:02 pm

Can't wait!

Assuming the reverse module is the same motor, how can it be 195 EUR?

Surgerecordings

Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:05 pm

handcut wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:42 am
Parts are incoming!!! :D :D :D

At last, the nightmare is almost over. I will document reassembly... In a bizzare twist of fate, I actually have a second VR on it's way to me in order to help with the backlog, but once that's out of the way, it's gone. Strictly Presto from now on! Anybody looking to part with an 8DG???
I maybe interested in the sale when you think of selling it bud.

handcut

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:10 am

HannesFTL wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:02 pm

Assuming the reverse module is the same motor, how can it be 195 EUR?
Bulk buying, perhaps? One of the more puzzling aspects of Mr S's business practice is how cheap he sells his home made kit Vs the mark-up he adds on to third party items like the VU meters, amplifier, dial indicator etc.

HannesFTL

Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:16 pm

Any news??

handcut

Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:03 am

Another part ID for you: the clutch bearing inside the brass housing is a INA HF0406 Needle Roller Clutch 4x8x6mm

boryo

Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:39 am

handcut wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:03 am
Another part ID for you: the clutch bearing inside the brass housing is a INA HF0406 Needle Roller Clutch 4x8x6mm
Thanks handcut!

Due to language barrier Im not sure I understand where this exactly fits. Is it right next to the black wheel and you see it after the wheel is removed?

Thanks,
Bob

handcut

Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:27 am

boryo wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:39 am

Thanks handcut!

Due to language barrier Im not sure I understand where this exactly fits. Is it right next to the black wheel and you see it after the wheel is removed?

Thanks,
Bob
Hi Bob,

No, there's a brass cylinder that couples the motor to the axle inside the feedscrew. The clutch is inside the cylinder and sits on the motor output shaft. The little thumbscrew in the middle of the black wheel is connected to the opposite end of the axle. When the thumbscrew is tightened, it compresses a serrated washer and provides friction enough to make the feedscrew turn.

tragwag

Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:28 pm

anyone out there know how to find those screws that hold the overhead on to the halfnut+feedscrew mechanism?
they keep falling out on my 2nd VR, and I just wrenched the head off the second one putting it back in.
I should have grabbed a photo when they were out of the assembly, but that would have been too smart of an idea for me!

they're 2.5mm allen head, with a set screw's worth of thread on the end, and a tiny thin area in the middle
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

A1-Voodoo

Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:31 pm

Handcut, Hope 2024 is treating you well - and that you were able to sell your VR(s) once you were done with that repair and LP job catchup. I'm following up now to see if you were ever able to, and are now willing to post here the photos and such for the repair of the motor assembly with any tips and tricks the rest of us can learn from when the time comes we have to do the same to other VRs :)
-----
CLRH2O (Clearwater / A1-Voodoo)
STRAYLIGHT MUSIC GROUP
https://straylightmusicgroup.com