John Hassell Recordings

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Dub Studio

John Hassell Recordings

Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:35 pm

Anyone here know anything about this recording studio, as featured in the BBC documentary "Reggae Britannia"?

PLD

Re: John Hassell Recordings

Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:47 am

There isn't a great deal of information out there, but here's a magazine cover with a photo of the man himself in 1967. He advertised his services in the various electronics magazines as far back as the early 1960s, along with similar outfits such as Rapid, Deroy etc. I have a few examples of his work but nothing particularly interesting, certainly no reggae floor shakers have come my way yet!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Soulbear

Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:26 am

Dub Studio wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:35 pm
Anyone here know anything about this recording studio, as featured in the BBC documentary "Reggae Britannia"?
I had the same Model MSS Lathe as the one used in the Hassell Studio at one time, at time 0:58s you can see it in use here :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YsIwHoItA0

(Could have been the same Lathe, it came from North London and they are Quite Scarce) I still have the MSS Overhead from it, the rest is GONE :cry: :cry: :cry: :-
MSS Lathe 3.JPG
MSS Lathe 5.JPG
Got some info about this Lathes "Modus Operandi" if you're interested send me a PM
Regards Soulbear :P :) :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PLD

Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:25 am

His MSS was described as being 'modified', though it doesn't specifically say how, and was run with a 100w Grampian amp (again, it says here). I'm sure I have another period article about JH somewhere, but can't find it at the moment. I also remember him being mentioned in a '75 hi-fi mag, having recorded an album by an early music ensemble called Musica Antiquita. Little things keep coming back!

Soulbear

Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:03 am

PLD wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:25 am
His MSS was described as being 'modified', though it doesn't specifically say how, and was run with a 100w Grampian amp

MMMMmmm? An MSS Lathe with a Grampian Amp and Possibly a Grampian Laydown Head?? Makes sense, Head response of the Grampian compared to the MSS Laydown Cutterheads as different as Chalk and Cheese :?: :?: :?: Probably this one??
Grampian Cutterhead1.JPG
Grampian Cutterhead3.JPG
:wink: :wink: :wink:
P.S. I used to get cuts made at Deroy Sound Services, which used to be based in Carnforth, Lancashire, UK and in the promotional stuff I got from them, they mention that they used to operate a Modern Neumann Lathe, not a "Converted Ancient 78RPM Lathe" Do you know whatever became of Deroy????
Just Curious!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
Regards :P :) :D Soulbear

PLD

Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:10 pm

I think Deroy packed up around 1979. Some of their '70s albums are highly sought after these days, especially the folky ones. There used to be a website dedicated to them but it vanished a couple of weeks ago. They made a big fuss about their Neumann, which it looks like they bought around 1968... £6000, apparently! I must scan in the feature where it's mentioned.

Soulbear

Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:23 pm

PLD wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:10 pm
I think Deroy packed up around 1979. Some of their '70s albums are highly sought after these days, especially the folky ones. There used to be a website dedicated to them but it vanished a couple of weeks ago. They made a big fuss about their Neumann, which it looks like they bought around 1968... £6000, apparently! I must scan in the feature where it's mentioned.
I found these :-
Deroy-1.jpg
Deroy-2.jpg
Deroy-3.jpg
And an article in the Lancashire Post about Roy Marsh "Passing Over" the Quarrymen as a bit "Ordinary" after he cut a "Demo" on them!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Just for information for younger Lathetrolls, the "Quarrymen" evolved into perhaps the Greatest Band of the 20th Century, later becoming known as "The Beatles" :wink: :wink: :wink:
Oh Hum!!! :P :) :D Regards Soulbear

PLD

Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:26 pm

Lovely scans!

The Quarrymen thing is weird, as the famous 'In Spite Of All The Danger' acetate was made at Percy Phillips' studio in Liverpool, and I don't know of any other Quarrymen acetates ever being made. I need to consult 'Tune In', I suppose.

treeforest

Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:58 pm

wow, i actually own a Deroy acetate that features an anonymous merseybeat group, could it be? (i doubt it...)

i also don't have much of an ear for the beatles, so maybe someone here would know better

here's one of the songs (out of 4 total), seems to be an original(?) https://clyp.it/ajopk0id

PLD

Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:52 am

That's very much untouched by the hands of the Fab Four, unfortunately. It's quite charming though, and better than any Deroys I've ever found!

Soulbear

Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:07 am

treeforest wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:58 pm
wow, i actually own a Deroy acetate that features an anonymous merseybeat group, could it be? (i doubt it...)

i also don't have much of an ear for the beatles, so maybe someone here would know better

here's one of the songs (out of 4 total), seems to be an original(?) https://clyp.it/ajopk0id
Fred Garrity (Freddie and the Dreamers???) :?: :?:

Dub Studio

Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:51 am

That's great info, thanks guys! I have a friend from a reggae sound system in Bath called Sectatone (still going, but here they are in 1983: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgdMugwBi9o) who used to get his dubs cut there... apparently John's wife (or partner?) used to add dub effects to the cuts at the client's behest 😎