Needle noise?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

KomatoseRecords

Needle noise?

Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:04 pm

Just started cutting on a Vanrock E-101, and every cut I’ve made so far is completely overshadowed by the horrible sound of the needle scraping as it cuts along with a high pitched scratch noise. Any idea how to eliminate that? I’ve tried warming up my blanks & turtle waxing them before cutting, with no difference. I’ve noticed that my heating coil isn’t heating up my stylus much, so is that the issue? Either way, thanks in advance!

piaptk

Re: Needle noise?

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:21 pm

We need to have a lot more info to be able to help.

What type of needle?
What type of blank?
Are you sure the needle was good when you got it?
What is your skill level? Have you ever cut a good record?
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

KomatoseRecords

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:25 pm

My bad! Currently running a sapphire needle on a PETG blank, as for skill, absolute beginner about a week into cutting, no full successes.

piaptk

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:28 pm

There is a ton of information on this forum that is not necessarily compatible with other information, and so without a lot of bavkground it is hard for newbies to actually understand what the hell is going on.

I sell tech support calls to get you up and running if you are interested. In two hours i can impart more info than weeks of trying to sort through this forum without a lot of contextual knowledge. If your machine is functional, and you have the correct combination of discs and needles i can answer all of your questions plus some and have you cutting an acceptable record in less than two hours.

If you havent already read this, start here:
https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8328&p=55457&hilit=Newbie+starter+guide#p55457
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:31 pm

If that is a sapphire cutting needle, youve ruined it on the petg. 100% guarantee the tip is toast now.

You can only emboss using a cutting needle BACKWARDS or one of the embossing cones i sell, or CUT petg with a diamond stylus (which i wouldnt recommend on a Van Rock because the weightal adjustment is very coarse and rudimentary and you will go through diamond needles QUICK.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Jccc

Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:05 am

KomatoseRecords wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:25 pm
My bad! Currently running a sapphire needle on a PETG blank, as for skill, absolute beginner about a week into cutting, no full successes.
you cant cut with a Sapphire on PETG.

If you have more Sapphire needles. i would save those for acetate disc.

Get some embossing needles from Piaptk or ebay and try those out on the PETG.

i had alright sound from embossing PETG but better results with Polycarbonate.