sp10 mk2 combination.

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Dubwise

sp10 mk2 combination.

Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:10 pm

Hello, has any one ever used an sp10 mk2 with sours platter and motor. :?:
Maybe silly but the sp10 could still use a bit of a push right. :?:

8) :?:

Soulbear

Re: sp10 mk2 combination.

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:12 am

Hi Dubwise
The Technics SP-10 mk2 has plenty of Torque at 6kg/cm which is around 3 times that of the various Technics 1200's. So it does not need any further "Push" as you put it. The VR seems to have been designed with the Technics 1200 series as the de facto Platter/Motor Unit of choice, these Technics 1200 Platters are the ones that may need to get the Assist from the "External" Pony Motors. I think any issue in using an SP10 as the Platter/Motor Unit might only arise because of the VR's Height relative to the Technics SP10 vs Technics 1200.

I really don't know how big a deal it is, to Raise or Lower the Height of the VR relative to the Platter/Motor Unit. It might be no more difficult than adding in Adjustment Spacers, or maybe something a little more Complex?? Not insurmountable or too great a problem to get around, and I'm pretty sure some other VR users will have done this at sometime and so could advise you better. Torque However, would not be an Issue.
Regards Soulbear :P :) :D

soeffingodly

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:40 am

I'm using an SP-15 and I have zero issues with it needing an extra push. I would assume the SP-10 shouldn't need anything "extra" either.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

Soulbear

Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:07 am

Hi S, Got me curious now Te He!! Did you have any "Height Issues" to resolve when using the VR with the SP-15??? Is the Technics SP-15 the same height as the Technics 1200's ??
Best Regards Soulbear :P :) :D

soeffingodly

Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:58 pm

I had to prop it up a bit. I used tragwag's suggestion that he employed; a few pieces of cardboard underneath. :) Its more flexible than being locked into the built-in feet like a 1200 but it also presents its own challenges when recalibrating, etc.

Discomo

Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:09 pm

soeffingodly wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:58 pm
I had to prop it up a bit...
You don't have any issues with wow anymore?
If this is over, I envy you ;)

soeffingodly

Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:46 pm

So far I have yet to experience any wow or flutter like I did with the original 1200. Especially at the outer edge or with marginally warped discs. Mike gave me a great deal. I'm super grateful. Heard the electronics can get crazy in them though. I would have gone SP-10 MKII but I couldn't pass this up. I don't have a tonearm but I usually test the cuts out after I'm finished anyway. Both a blessing and a curse, though!

Soulbear

Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:15 pm

Hi soeffingodly,

soeffingodly Wrote :-
I had to prop it up a bit. I used tragwag's suggestion that he employed; a few pieces of cardboard underneath. :) Its more flexible than being locked into the built-in feet like a 1200 but it also presents its own challenges when recalibrating, etc.

Well I guess that answers my question in relation to "Height Issues" at least when the VR is used in combination with the Technics SP15. A very simple enough method to "Fix" the Height, though as you say, it still presents challenges when calibrating. Must confess, I'm still curious about how the Technics SP10's would fit together with the VR though
Technics SP 10-14.jpg

Discomo Wrote :-
If this is over, I envy you

I'm happy to own this pair of SP 10's, I have the luxury of designing my own next two "Frankenlathes" from "Scratch" and so, when I get on with building these Lathes, from my reading around the subject, I firmly believe that to avoid any of the "Wow Issues" you mention, the SP 10 was definitely the "Best Choice" to make. Cosmetically these SP10's are not "Great" but then again, are not too bad either, but as they are intended to be used as "Work Horses" rather than Looking cool in some "Audiophiles" Mansion I was quite happy to shell out for them 8) 8) And all for a favourably comparable cost to buying a "New" Technics 1200 + Herr Sourisseau's "Precision" Pony Motor Add-on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Discomo

Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:21 am

soeffingodly wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:46 pm

So far I have yet to experience any wow or flutter like I did with the original 1200...
Sounds great. It will be a relief for me when I'm finally FREED From WOW.

soeffingodly

Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:26 am

Soulbear wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:15 pm
Hi soeffingodly,

soeffingodly Wrote :-

Well I guess that answers my question in relation to "Height Issues" at least when the VR is used in combination with the Technics SP15. A very simple enough method to "Fix" the Height, though as you say, it still presents challenges when calibrating. Must confess, I'm still curious about how the Technics SP10's would fit together with the VR though

Technics SP 10-14.jpg

Discomo Wrote :-
If this is over, I envy you

I'm happy to own this pair of SP 10's, I have the luxury of designing my own next two "Frankenlathes" from "Scratch" and so, when I get on with building these Lathes, from my reading around the subject, I firmly believe that to avoid any of the "Wow Issues" you mention, the SP 10 was definitely the "Best Choice" to make. Cosmetically these SP10's are not "Great" but then again, are not too bad either, but as they are intended to be used as "Work Horses" rather than Looking cool in some "Audiophiles" Mansion I was quite happy to shell out for them 8) 8) And all for a favourably comparable cost to buying a "New" Technics 1200 + Herr Sourisseau's "Precision" Pony Motor Add-on.
Sexy!

I saw someone who had an SP-10 with the VR and it was propped up with some rubber (I think) something or others underneath. IE- one on each corner. Wish I could find the pic. Also saw someone on youtube who built a plinth for it that was pretty dope.

My main issue was getting the SP-15 lined up properly. But using MyShanks FAQ and lots of tweaking it ended up working out well. I have been debating having a plinth made that would fit the feet but I'm still more focused on setting up to start EQ'ing the head better. I'd like to bypass the rack and go directly from my DAW into the amp/head. Im still new to the VR as I've only had it since February. I'll worry about the deck later. If you want I can grab some pics or video to show you how I set it up.

Jealous you have 2 of those SP-10's! Very nice.

-S

tragwag

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:26 pm

running one SP10 and an SP15 over here with great results.
trying to get a vacuum platter going, very infant stages, but im confident the SPs can take the extra duty
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

trailerparkjesus

Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:41 am

+1 sp10

Better than the stanton decks but not better than 1200 with souris motor. We still need a precision platter on ours though, there is a little bit of visible run out

drdub

Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:37 pm

this is our solution of building a home for a sp10mk2 in the VR..

-dr.dub
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

Dubwise

Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:45 pm

Dr Dub. That looks great.

I have Souris motor and wonder if the SP-10 MK2 is a better solution.

drdub

Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:06 am

Thanks Dubwise.
With the SP10 we have about 0,06-0,08% (measured while cutting) that's way better than with the sl1200 we had before (about 0,18-0,20%).

In my opinion the sp10mk2 awesome (when it's 100% reliable!).
The main problem we have, sometimes our sp10 starts acting very weird, it doesn't keep up with the speed but gets slower and faster, makes werid noises... then we cut days or weeks without any problem, and suddenly it starts again.

We already replaced all capacitors on the PCBs even in the psu, resoldered all solder joints, replaced the main switch, re adjusted the speed with the potentiometers, next thing we try is to reassemble to whole motor, clean it etc.
So if there are some hardcore Sp10 pros out there please give us a hint :))

-dr.dub
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

dubcutter89

Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:15 am

With the SP10 we have about 0,06-0,08% (measured while cutting) that's way better than with the sl1200 we had before (about 0,18-0,20%).
How do you measure this?
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

drdub

Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:48 am

There is an app called wow & flutter meter, it's even exact enough! we tried it on some different smartphones with different gyroscopes - the result was the same, and to see the difference is the main thing.
on a turntable with low torque it's importand to put two phones on the opposite of each other so it doesn't lead to imbalance of rotation.
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

HannesFTL

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:43 pm

I run SP-10 with VR and think it's great. Spend a few hours finetuning and was ready to go. Never going back...

I didn't raise it btw. Just put it under, no problem. Why would you need to do that?

Next update will be a solid mat, because the reverse SP-10 is not very flat here...